PDA

View Full Version : Foley hammer setter manual

Daren K Nelson
02-16-2009, 6:33 PM
Here is the deal. I sold this setter (with manual) to a guy…now I cannot find the manual. I have literally 100’s of manuals. I have manuals to tools I no longer even own and manual to every single tool I due own EXCEPT this one. I did have it, this picture is off my website. I keep all my manuals in 2 places, it is neither. I have flipped this place upside down looking for it. I am sure I will find it some day looking for something else, but that does me no good right now. The man has already paid and I am in a pickle. The manual is only a few pages. If anyone would have one I would greatly appreciate a scan, and would do what I could to repay you in kind.

John Keeton
02-16-2009, 8:00 PM
No help with a manual, but I am betting it is stuck inside one of the other manuals. Did that once, and drove me nuts until I went thru every manual and found it. Worth the effort!

Steve Clardy
02-16-2009, 8:06 PM
I sent the pic to a friend of mine that has had foley equipment for a long time.

If he has a manual I will see if he can scan it.

John C. Wilson
02-16-2009, 8:17 PM
Hey Darren, that is a 359 lever setter, I can help you out, no problem.Call me tomorrow so I can get your address. Being in the sharpening business for 34 years, I have hundreds of extra manuals...John in Iowa
563 -927-4341

Daren K Nelson
02-16-2009, 8:18 PM
I am betting it is stuck inside one of the other manuals.

That was my thought too, it's only a few pages and others are many, easy to get lost inside another...but a thorough shake out came up empty.

Daren K Nelson
02-16-2009, 8:21 PM
Hey Darren, that is a 359 lever setter, I can help you out, no problem.

AWESOME John !!! I kinda thought this was a long shot,I guessed wrong in just a couple hours and I am on the right track.

Daren K Nelson
02-16-2009, 8:32 PM
I sent the pic to a friend of mine that has had foley equipment for a long time.

If he has a manual I will see if he can scan it.

Thanks Steve. Any help I can get like I said is appreciated. It was VERY embarrassing to sell a tool to a guy saying I had the manual...then could not find it :o. I will go the extra mile to make it right with him and everyone's help here is refreshing, my kinda folk ;)

Alan DuBoff
02-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Darren,

I think I might have one of those setters, but don't have the manual. Good it seems someone does. I have a few pieces of foley "boat anchors" around the garage, another is a circular setting device...another "boat anchor".

I consider most of the Foley stuff to be "boat anchors" with the exception of the retoothers. I have a filer, a couple setters for circular blades, and a power setting (392).

I can see how the power setting might be useful if one was setting a lot of saws. But most folks I know use a pistol set, myself included.

Daren K Nelson
02-17-2009, 7:47 AM
I can see how the power setting might be useful if one was setting a lot of saws. But most folks I know use a pistol set, myself included.

I have a couple power setters too, I prefer to set by hand also. I had a "stomp setter" too for handsaws, it mounted on the bench and you stepped on a pedal to set the teeth. I never used it and sold it to a guy in Canada. The trip setter in the picture is going to Honduras eventually by way of California.

Eric Brown
06-25-2009, 7:49 PM
I have no experience with saw sharpening except for one backsaw filed rip. It turned out ok and now I want to do more.
A friend at work has a Foley 200 that belonged to his dad, a "professional" part-time sharpener. He has offered to sell it to me.
Is it worth getting? (Priced way low!) Looks complete except for manual.

Thanks.

Eric

bridger berdel
06-28-2009, 12:21 PM
boat anchor is a pretty strong term... I will say that they tend to be overcomplicated and a little underbuilt- kind of like what you'd get if you locked a crazy genius inventor in a basement and make him design industrial equipment- but instead of giving him access to prior industrial engineering you give him an erector set.

I once bought a building which had housed a failed sharpening business at some time in the past. there were several foley machines, none operational, all worn out, parts missing- nothing sellable. I dismantled some for parts to make other things and still have a few bits and pieces stashed away for future projects.

Darren,

I think I might have one of those setters, but don't have the manual. Good it seems someone does. I have a few pieces of foley "boat anchors" around the garage, another is a circular setting device...another "boat anchor".

I consider most of the Foley stuff to be "boat anchors" with the exception of the retoothers. I have a filer, a couple setters for circular blades, and a power setting (392).