PDA

View Full Version : What is this blade for?

Shawn Stennett
02-16-2009, 5:31 PM
Is this blade a combo blade?

Paul Atkins
02-16-2009, 5:34 PM
Maybe - pull off the rubber and let's have a look at the teeth. Close up.

Shawn Stennett
02-16-2009, 6:09 PM
Here ya go

Steve Bagi
02-16-2009, 7:16 PM
Is it me or is there some serious chunks missing from those teeth? Was that sold as new? I'd be leery of putting that on my saw.

Joe Chritz
02-16-2009, 7:28 PM
Those teeth look a little rough. I am not sure where the raker tooth would be on an ATB blade but it looks like some parts are missing. You can see a flat tooth in between two beveled teeth. It looks broken in the pic.

Other than that it does look like a combo blade, everyone I have used has those open gullets after every 5th tooth or so.

Joe

scott spencer
02-16-2009, 7:39 PM
It looks like it could be a full kerf Freud LU84M011 50T combo blade, or what's left of one...but those teeth look really rough. There should be a flat raker in the front of each group of teeth, followed by 4 consecutive alternating top beveled teeth. From the pic, it looks like 2 out of the 4 ATB teeth showing are broken....could be just the angle of the shot....

Jeff Bratt
02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
It should be/was a combo blade. There are problems some of with the teeth shown in the pictures. In pic #2 - from left to right: the first tooth, with the larger gullet, looks to be a flat-topped raker tooth - it might be chipped, but it's out of focus. The next four teeth are the alternating top bevel (ATB) teeth, and two of them (#3&5) look OK, while the other two (#2&4) are badly chipped. If the other groups of teeth looks like this, the blade is toast. Maybe this blade hit something that chipped the right hand side of all the teeth??? Check out the rest of them...

Shawn Stennett
02-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I cleaned it up and inspected it closly, I think that it was a combo of the angle of pic and it not being really clean. It is a flat then alternating angle.

Mike Parzych
02-17-2009, 8:57 AM
Looks like the outside blade of a dado set.

Alex Shanku
02-17-2009, 9:02 AM
I cleaned it up and inspected it closly, I think that it was a combo of the angle of pic and it not being really clean. It is a flat then alternating angle.

Sure looks like the 4th tooth from the left in your second image is chipped.

Sonny Edmonds
02-17-2009, 9:03 AM
Looks like a triple chip grind for laminate and melamine cutting.
I have one very much like it. Makes extremely nice cuts in MDF and other materials.
I think most are seeing crap you didn't clean off well. But there does seem to be glint from edges that shouldn't be there.
But the grind is most certainly a triple chip type.

Bill Huber
02-17-2009, 9:20 AM
I think most are seeing crap you didn't clean off well. But there does seem to be glint from edges that shouldn't be there.

I am not sure in the second picture shouldn't the angle teeth be alternating.
The third tooth and the 5th tooth are going the same way.

I don't know just asking.

Tom Walz
02-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Here is what I get.

Square top chipped
Trapezoid tip
slant to the left
lower square top
slant to the left

The overall design looks like combination. The last steel bump looks like an anti-kickback feature.

Anybody agree or disagree

If that is correct it is a custom, one only blade someone made. Might not have worked. Might have been for a special application.

See kinds of saw blades at:
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/kindsofsawblades.htm (http://www.carbideprocessors.com/kindsofsawblades.htm)

tom

Jeff Bratt
02-17-2009, 3:00 PM
Looks like a triple chip grind for laminate and melamine cutting.
I have one very much like it. Makes extremely nice cuts in MDF and other materials.

It is a combination blade, ATB+R grind - notice the 5 tooth grouping. Definitely not triple chip.

An ATB+R combination blade (needs cleaning).

Another ATB+R combination blade - for RAS or miter saw. High ATB angles, negative hook.

Triple-chip rip blade.

Scott Whiting
02-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Jeff is correct. By the looks of the anti kickback it is probably a Freud LU85. It has definitely been run. How it got plastic on it makes no sense. I am guessing it was cleaned a bit and sold used, as is. It won't hurt any thing to run as pictured but do not expect very good performance until after a saw shop has done some work to it.