PDA

View Full Version : First time poster with latest project (toybox)

Dave Walker
07-08-2004, 3:28 PM
I've lurked here for a while now and I really enjoy the knowledge and projects that everyone here shares. I figured it was time I signed up and shared some of my projects with all of you.

My short Bio:

I'm the Director of IT for a small Real Estate Investment firm in South East Michigan. I live in St. Clair Shores with my beautiful wife about 200 yards from Lake St. Clair. I started woodworking as a hobby about 8 years ago and I really love it. I do most of my projects for family and a few times for freinds. I don't enjoy doing paid jobs as it makes it feel more like work rather than an enjoyable hobby.

On to my latest project:

My sister gave birth to her first child on June 9th. A healthy baby boy. I built this toybox as her baby shower gift in April. It is a solid oak toybox with Winnie the Pooh inlaid on the front. It's assembled with 3/4" box joints. I made "Pooh" using scrollsawn marquetry. His fur is made from Aspen, his shirt from bloodwood, his eyes, nose and eyebrows from ebony and the background is cherry. It's finished with 3 coats of polycrylic.

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~dgw1/images/poohbox1.jpg
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~dgw1/images/poohbox2.jpg
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~dgw1/images/poohbox3.jpg

John Shuk
07-08-2004, 4:02 PM
Dave,
First, welcome to the Creek. Second, let the raves begin! Absolutely magnificent! The chest is great and the joinery is appropriate and adds alot to the overall appearance but the work on "POOH" takes the cake (or the hunny as it were). I love it. What a lucky kid! Keep those pics coming.
John

Bruce Page
07-08-2004, 4:04 PM
Dave, welcome to the Creek! Your nephew is a lucky young man - that is a very nice toybox. Everything, including the marquetry looks first rate. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

I'm looking forward to more pictures of your work!

John Gregory
07-08-2004, 4:04 PM
The toy box looks great. My wife and I enjoy working together in our wood shop. We have done some paid projects for people at work and some cost-only projects for family. I hesitate to say we do projects for "profit" With the time we spend, we could make more per hour at McDonald's :) But we built the shop for a hobby and we figure if family members buy the wood and supplies, they help us with our hobby.

Keep up the good work
John

Rich Konopka
07-08-2004, 4:21 PM
Welcome Dave !!! Great job !! I like the the Plinth (sp?). Also, great engineering on the hinges. Built to last !

Dan Mages
07-08-2004, 4:21 PM
Excellent work!! Keep the projects coming!

Dan

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 5:23 PM
Glad to have you aboard the Creek, Dave. Love that Pooh inlay...very nice work.

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 5:26 PM
Welcome! Nice project. And you already understand the rules...you have both an avitar and pictures in your very first post! Kewel!!

Todd Burch
07-08-2004, 6:18 PM
Hi Dave! Welcome to Saw Mill Creek!

That's one beefy toy chest! Do you cut your box joints with a router or on the tablesaw? Is that a brand or signature on the inside of the back panel in the middle? And finally, did you do anything inside the chest (like a till or compartment) or is it an open box?

Terry Hatfield
07-08-2004, 6:20 PM
Dave,

Welcome!!!! Excellent job on the chest!!! You should be very proud.

Terry

Tony Falotico
07-08-2004, 7:05 PM
Dave First off Welcome to the Creek. Second, mighty fine job on that toy box, I particularly like the Pooh Bear emblem. Way to go Dave ............

Jason Tuinstra
07-08-2004, 7:17 PM
Dave, a great project for a great cause. Adding Pooh was a nice touch. Glad to have you aboard. I look forward to seeing more of your projects in the future.

Dave Walker
07-08-2004, 7:25 PM
Hi Dave! Welcome to Saw Mill Creek!

That's one beefy toy chest! Do you cut your box joints with a router or on the tablesaw? Is that a brand or signature on the inside of the back panel in the middle? And finally, did you do anything inside the chest (like a till or compartment) or is it an open box?

Hi Todd. Thanks for the welcome.

I cut the box joints using my hitachi M12V router and a jig I made for the router to ride on. Good eye on the brand. Yes, my wife bought me a brand for Xmas from Rockler. It's just an open box on the inside.

Take care.

Dave

Dave Walker
07-08-2004, 7:32 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome and nice words about the toybox. My sister loved it and I hope my nephew will get many years of service from it.

Thanks again.

Dave

Waymon Campbell
07-08-2004, 8:19 PM
Dave - Welcome to the Creek. That is some fine craftsmanship! How many hours do you think you put into the project, and in particular, the emblem? Phenomenal work!

Frank Pellow
07-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Welcome Dave. You have one very lucky nephew! I have made several toyboxes over the years but toy boxes are all that mine are -your toybox is a work of art.

I must add a quibble :( -It's too bad that you did not utilize the "real" Winnie the Pooh as drawn in the A. A Milne books and not the Walt Disney version. Sorry to bug you about this, but the "Disnification" of many things including Winnie the Pooh is a pet peave of miine.

Jim Ketron
07-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Great Job Dave!!
"up down touch the ground puts me in the mood. Up down touch the ground puts me in the mood for food"
My little girl loves POOH see I even know one of the songs.:D
Welcome to the Creek!
Lot of nice people here and a lot of info
Keep sending the Pics.
Jim

Steve King
07-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Dave,
Very nice work, I like your web site. Keep it up and send more pictures :)
Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2004, 1:02 AM
Dave......Welcome! With that type of talent why have you just been lurking? You could be leading the charge. :eek: :D

Bart Sharp
07-09-2004, 9:04 AM
That is just beautiful! How did you make the black lines to define the back/top of the head, under the snout, the edges of the legs, etc.? Hot sand?

And welcome!

Bob Hovde
07-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the Creek and thanks for the inspirational pictures! Despite Frank's tirade against Disney, I think your version was the right choice. I'm not sure that the original could have been done nearly so well. This box will be around for generations. I made some simple pine toy boxes over thirty years ago for my girls and they are still being used by the grandkids.

Bob

Dave Walker
07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
That is just beautiful! How did you make the black lines to define the back/top of the head, under the snout, the edges of the legs, etc.? Hot sand?

And welcome!
Thanks for the compliment and welcome Bart. Yes, I used hot sand to define the edges.

Dave.

David Wilson
07-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Dave
Welcome aboard

The toy box looks great. looking forward to seeing more of your work. We love pictures.

Tyler Howell
07-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Dave!

I got nothing to rant and rave about. You did everything perfectly. Welcome;)

Kent Cori
07-09-2004, 2:22 PM
Dang, everyone else has already said all the good stuff about the toy box so I'll just extend a warm welcome to you Dave. :cool:

Brad Hammond
07-09-2004, 4:30 PM
WOW.......... certainly no poooooh in that project!! great job!!

Gary Simonns
11-17-2005, 1:35 PM
I know I'm replying to an old post here ...but... Wow.. this toybox is awesome. I've got my 2nd little one on the way and I'd love to make this for him/her.

Can anyone point me in the direction for learning this scroll saw marquetry?

Thanks, Gary

John Bailey
11-17-2005, 2:04 PM
Dave,

Nice job on the box, nice sentiment for your nephew and welcome to the "Creek."

John