PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

Jarrod McGehee
02-16-2009, 4:51 PM
Hey guys I'm a high school novice Woodworker but I like to try every aspect and I just bought a lathe for my house so I can do more turning. I'd just like to say hello to everyone and once I get everything set up and start turning I'll be putting up pictures. I'd appreciate tips and tricks along the way but I'll put up threads when I run into trouble. -Jarrod

David Christopher
02-16-2009, 4:55 PM
welcome to the creek Jarrod, looking forward to see some of your work. and youve come to the right place. if you need help this is the best place on the internet. the guys here know it all ( at least I think so )

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2009, 5:00 PM
Jarrod - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon! What lathe did you get?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2009, 5:19 PM
Jarrod...Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in.....the water's fine!

George Morris
02-16-2009, 5:40 PM
Hello right back!! Boy to be in High School and starting turning what would I give? Welcome Jarrod have fun and try not to spend to much money!! George

Andrew Derhammer
02-16-2009, 5:42 PM
Welcome from another Highschool woodturner.

Gary Kvasnicka
02-16-2009, 7:06 PM
Welcome, Jarrod. Nice to have you in the spiny part of the Creek.

alex carey
02-16-2009, 9:58 PM
Jarrod I started out just like you. I was in high school wood shop and fell in love with the lathe. I bought my first lathe like two years ago and about 1 month ago I bought a second much larger lathe. It is costly but definitely fun. The rewards outmatch anything else I was doing hobby wise. IE: Counter strike, WOW, other video game if you can even call these hobbies.

This is definitely the place to be for help.

I also live in Southern California. Are you anywhere near Torrance? South of LA?

Alex

Jim Kountz
02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Welcome Jarrod, lots of knowledgeable folks here and always willing to lend a hand so jump right in and get your feet wet in the Creek!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Welcome Jarrod. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Jump right in.

Jarrod McGehee
02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
...try not to spend to much money!! George

HAH, well if any of you guys are giving away some wood and don't mind giving a few blanks away here and there.....

its almost inevitable haha. but i did turn a little confetti lamp today. been a while since i've been on the lathe but this turned out ok for a few minutes of work.

Jarrod McGehee
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Alex. I'm in North San Diego county. not too far though.