PDA

View Full Version : Far out tennoning jig

Greg Sznajdruk
02-16-2009, 4:31 PM
Here is a fellow from SWO who built his own tennoning jig this man doesn't lack imagination.

http://woodgears.ca/tenon/jig.html

Greg

Rob Grubbs
02-16-2009, 4:47 PM
Reminds me of a Rube Goldberg invention or something the Coyote would use to try to catch the Roadrunner!:eek::D

Alex Shanku
02-16-2009, 6:31 PM
The problem I see, as shown by the bridle joint he cut, is that you arent assured a centered slot/tenon.

Flipping the piece against a face of your tenoning jig produces a cut of equal distance from the faces of your stock. If the tenon is then too thick, you can adjust, cut, flip, cut and end up with a slightly thinner, still centered, tenon.

Tony Bilello
02-16-2009, 6:57 PM
I dont see how this could be any faster than my dado blade and Table Saw` fence and a test scrap.

glenn bradley
02-16-2009, 7:01 PM
I think its great that the guy has that much fun designing things. I'll stick with my cast iron beast.

Bob Genovesi
02-16-2009, 7:06 PM
I think its great that the guy has that much fun designing things. I'll stick with my cast iron beast.

Me too! :eek:

Stephen Edwards
02-16-2009, 7:11 PM
It's purty and looks like he had fun building it. I'll stick with my grizzly tenon jig but I do admire his. It just makes my head hurt to look at it and think about building it!

Leo Graywacz
02-16-2009, 7:26 PM
90% of my mortise/tenon joints are off center. I never flip the board. That will always introduce an error of the different thicknesses between boards. I always use a reference side. I make a spacer board which is the thickness of the tenon plus the blade width minus 0.005". Setup the tenon jig for the first cut with the reference side of your board against the fence of the tenon jig and the spacer board on the other side of the board, clamp it in. Make your first cut, unclamp the board and switch the spacer and the board and clamp them in. Make your second cut. Perfect every time.

The nice thing about his system is the dial indicator and the speed of switching over between the two cuts.

Michael Weber
02-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Just ran across that yesterday. Take a look at his finger joint jig:eek:
http://woodgears.ca/box_joint/jig.html I do admire his inventiveness and crreativity

David Bodkin
02-17-2009, 1:56 AM
Those are impressive, especially the finger joint jig.