PDA

View Full Version : First Post

David Winer
02-16-2009, 4:07 PM
Been lurking awhile, joined yesterday. Trying this message largely as a test to see how messaging on the forum works.

I've made three shawl pins for my daughter's birthday tomorrow. Never tried to work wood to produce such small artifacts. An example is attached: cocobolo, about two inches across the buckle. This wood his been around my shop for 35 years waiting for a project. Two other designs are in walnut and cocobolo; all were somewhat challenging because they are so small.

Tools: Bandsaw, Drill Press, Jig Saw, Dremel Sanding Drum, Files, Sandpaper.
Finish: Watco Penetrating Oil.

Jim Chilenski
02-16-2009, 4:16 PM
Very pretty work Dave. I'm sure your daughter will love them. Nothing better than having a gift that was personally made.

Oh, and welcome!

Jim

Bob Slater
02-16-2009, 4:34 PM
Welcome, great gift there. I m sure you will find the regulars extremely helpful. I sure have.

glenn bradley
02-16-2009, 4:44 PM
Welcome. That pin is a beauty. BTW, what kind of bait did you use to catch the guy in the red shirt?

Joe Chritz
02-16-2009, 7:32 PM
Welcome aboard.

That is a cool looking pin. I bet it took patience which I was once told is a virtue that I have been blessed with remarkably little.

Joe

John Keeton
02-16-2009, 8:41 PM
Welcome David! Nice work on the shawl pins, and even better work on noodling that fish:D That is how you caught it, wasn't it?

Tony Bilello
02-16-2009, 8:59 PM
and welcome aboard.

Dave Verstraete
02-16-2009, 9:16 PM
David
Beautiful craftmanship. My wife wants you to adopt her. She is a Knitter and a Weaver.She saw this thread and I am sure that a few are in my future also. Thanks Buddy....

Dewey Torres
02-16-2009, 9:56 PM
Nice intro.

Welcome to the Creek and don't forget that we love PICS!!!

Jim Kountz
02-16-2009, 9:59 PM
Welcome to the creek, you'll love it here!!

Nice job on the pin, she will love it!!

David Winer
02-17-2009, 5:49 PM
Nice intro.

Welcome to the Creek and don't forget that we love PICS!!!

Here is a shot of the other two designs. One in cocobolo and the other in black walnut. If anyone wants other photos, send me a private message with a regular e-mail address so I can attach. (Please say if you have wide-band or not so I won't overload you.)

Thanks all for the welcome to Sawmill Creek. Daughter was very pleased with the shawl pins today. Woodworking comes in handy sometimes.

Lewis Moeller
02-17-2009, 6:50 PM
Welcome to the creek, I don't post much, But you will find a lot of nice people and info here:)

Lewis