PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Bowl Gouge size question

David Gunn
02-16-2009, 3:09 PM
I am going to order a Thompson bowl gouge. I am going to be making a few small bowls on a JET 1014. Which size gouge should I order, a 3/8" or a 1/2"? What are the advantages of the 1/2 over the 3/8? I know nothing about using a bowl gouge, but I can't wait to learn.

Doug Thompson
02-16-2009, 3:47 PM
IMO - get one 1/2 gouge because it handle everything from roughing a blank to the finish cuts, the 3/8 is to small to rough a blank but will produce a good finish cut.

Paul Gallian
02-16-2009, 4:23 PM
I like the deep V also ! Just MHO.

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2009, 4:44 PM
David - Doug is the expert and I have to agree with his suggestion of getting the 1/2" bowl gouge. Also agree with Paul and recommend the 'V' version! Looking forward to your gloat once you receive your new gouge. You will love it!

Wally Dickerman
02-16-2009, 4:58 PM
You should be aware that Thompson gouges aren't sized like the gouges made in the UK. A 3/8 in Thompson gouge would be the same size as a 1/4 in Sorby or Taylor gouge. Too small for general bowl turning.

If you plan to get by with just 1 gouge, then I suggest a 1/2 in or a 5/8 in. gouge. I like the combination of a 3/8 and a 5/8 in Thompson. For all of my roughing etc. I much prefer the 5/8 in. Thompson. I like the smaller gouge for detail work and small stuff.

Wally

Don Carter
02-16-2009, 5:07 PM
Well, David, you can't get a better recommendation than one from Doug Thompson. I only have one of his gouges, but it is the best one I have. You can't believe how long the edge lasts on it. Good luck and tell us what you think when you get it.

All the best.

Don

Scott Conners
02-16-2009, 5:54 PM
I use my 1/2" V more than any other gouge on my 1014. A 3/8" shaft is just not stiff enough to avoid chatter, even with only a 2" overhang on a small 8" bowl. Once I figured out the grind, I fell in love with my 1/2".

Ryan Baker
02-16-2009, 9:57 PM
I'd definitely recommend the 1/2", and the 5/8" if you do any larger work. The 3/8" in American sizing is a really small gouge in my opinion, unless you are making something pretty small. The V profile makes it seem smaller to me anyway, since a lot of the bar is left in tact. The U profile takes out more material for the flute and makes it seem like a little bigger tool.

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I have Doug's 1/2" V gouge and it is excellent. You can hog wood and still finesse the wood for a nice finish. I also have his 3/8" which will also give a fine finishing cut and works great on smaller bowls, etc.

David Drickhamer
02-16-2009, 11:10 PM
You can't go wrong with Thompson chisels. I have two, a 1/2" V Bowl gouge and a 3/8" Detail gouge. Both have become my "go to" chisels. Besides, now you can have the fun of making handles for them.
Dave

Tom Steyer
02-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I have three Thompson bowl gouges, and two more from other suppliers. Of them all, my Thompson V 1/2" is the "go-to" weapon in the arsenal - will make quite a large cut, and also provides a lot of feel and control for finer work and final cuts. If I could only buy one, that would be it.

Doug Thompson
02-17-2009, 3:00 AM
I was taught by Johannes Michelsen and learned you don't need a bunch of tools to turn. He teaches you to use a 1/2V and the 3/8V and that's it. I do understand why a larger diameter tool is popular but my favorite is the 1/2V which has a 3/8 wide flute. I've posted this picture before but this is done with a 1/2V, the shavings are real... to shoot them up in the air is a show but anyone can do the same thing.

David Gunn
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the advise, espcially Doug. I just placed an order for the 1/2" V shaped gouge. I will post pics once I receive it and turn a handle for it.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
So, let me get this right. I have a 3/8 Sorby bowl gouge, and that is the size of the Thompson 1/2"? I'm chomping at the bit to get a bigger gouge, and was looking at the Thompson 1/2" since everyone says it's the gouge to get. The Sorby also seems to have the V shape, although I can't remember that when I bought it. Should I go for the 5/8" round? Or should I stick to the V.

Ryan Baker
02-17-2009, 8:31 PM
So, let me get this right. I have a 3/8 Sorby bowl gouge, and that is the size of the Thompson 1/2"? I'm chomping at the bit to get a bigger gouge, and was looking at the Thompson 1/2" since everyone says it's the gouge to get. The Sorby also seems to have the V shape, although I can't remember that when I bought it. Should I go for the 5/8" round? Or should I stick to the V.

That's right. The Sorby 3/8" is a 3/8" flute. The 1/2" Thompson is 1/2" round bar with about a 3/8" flute. If you want a bigger flute, look at the 5/8" Thompson. The Sorby I have is most definitely a U profile, and I was thinking that all of the Sorbys were the same, but maybe not. The V profiles from most other makers are a lot deeper than the Thompson V, by design.

Gordon Seto
02-17-2009, 9:09 PM
The V profiles from most other makers are a lot deeper than the Thompson V, by design.

It is going to get complicated. There are more choices on Thompson "V" now - Jimmy Clewes series and the 5/8" Bill Grumbine "V". There may be more I haven't heard about yet.
I haven't seen this over 4 feet long Grumbine version. I am curious to see this in action; probably not with the Bonnine Klein lathe though.:rolleyes:

Ryan Baker
02-18-2009, 9:56 PM
I thought the Grumbine version was just longer. Doug should put up some info on the new ones on his site.