PDA

View Full Version : Water Oak

Michael Mills
02-16-2009, 2:02 PM
Has anyone turned Water Oak? I am in Concord NC and have access to three trees just cut down. All are about three feet across at the base. Is Water Oak worth messing with? Oh, it's all free also. I could not find any postings online except for spalter water oak.
Mike

Cyril Griesbach
02-16-2009, 2:59 PM
If it's free it's worth giving it a turn.

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2009, 4:46 PM
Michael - grab some and turn it! Chances are it will be some great wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Joe Chritz
02-16-2009, 7:31 PM
Water oak is one of the many species sold and cut as Red Oak. It should handle just like any other red oak you would find. I have almost no turning experience with any wood but am familiar with that particular tree.

Joe

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2009, 8:12 PM
Free wood is good wood. Give it a go.

Gary Max
02-16-2009, 8:15 PM
Joe hit the nail right on the head---think Red Oak

curtis rosche
02-16-2009, 8:41 PM
red oak turns nice, i am about finished with a large peice, i may post it tommorow or wensday. turns nice sands relitivley easy. finishes real nice

Bill Bulloch
02-16-2009, 9:55 PM
Oh yea, Water Oak is worth turning, that is if you can stand the smell. Really bad smell, like cat urine, and really wet. But, when it dries and airs out it is nice wood. I got a 70 foot Tree I have been working with, makes some nice bowls. Get you some and try it out, its worth it.

Kevin Main
02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
:rolleyes:I would get all I could !!!!!!! and offer to share !!!!!!! Concord NC is only about 3 Hours from me

Has anyone turned Water Oak? I am in Concord NC and have access to three trees just cut down. All are about three feet across at the base. Is Water Oak worth messing with? Oh, it's all free also. I could not find any postings online except for spalter water oak.
Mike

Michael Mills
02-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Kevin, if I get there in time to pick it up you are welcome to all that you want. I plan on using my rollback and just winching sections on. I can pull up about 6,000 pounds so that should make a few bowls or platters.
I will write back when I have it.
Thanks for everyones input.
If you know other people who may be interested they are welcome to it also.
Mike

Jack Mincey
02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Mike,
Oak turns OK, but coat your lathe bed and even tools with some wax or oil to help prevent rust. Oak is an acidic wood that rust steel in seconds.
Jack