PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Wisconsin again

Westley Rosenbaum
02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I already introduced myself in the Turner's Forum so I thought I'd swing by here and do it again :) I live in the Waukesha area for all of those other Wisconsinites out there, I was surprised to see there were a lot of others from WI in the Turner's Forum. Well I hope to share anything I can with you guys here. Looking forward to getting to know everyone, I belong to another forum and already recognize some faces. I hope to help out in any way I can, don't know how much that will be, I'm still kinda young but hey I will try my best ;) Little bit about myself n woodworking...
I am in an apprenticeship for Carpentry, been doing it for about 3 years now. The company I work for we build a lot of restaurants, small banks, that kinda thing. I like the company 'cause we do everything, the rough framing, doors/hardware, trim work, frp, all kinds of stuff, I like the variety. Currently I am off of work because it's way slow. Although that's pretty much the story for everyone right now. I did a lot of woodworking stuff in highschool. But wasn't until the last couple years where I've really gotten into it. In the Turner's Forum everyone asked me about pictures of stuff I've done so far, so I will go ahead and post them right away for you guys here :)

Recently I built this for my mom. Right inside our front door we have a little foyer area with a closet, and directly to the right of the door inside, there was a space about 3' wide 2' deep where my mom wanted a bench built with baskets below that could slide out. She wanted it to have a back to it with a shelf for the top. It doesnt have this yet, but she wants me to frame a mirror out to hang on the back with coat hooks around it. I made it out of Poplar mostly, and some Oak veneered plywood I had laying around. It is going to get painted a cream color first, then black, and then sanded in ares, revealing the cream color underneath to give it that "distressed" look. The base moulding on the bench is different from the base moulding in the room, but I wanted it to appear as a seperate piece from the rest of the room. So I had to scribe the room's moulding to the bench.

Well I guess you can only post 5 pictures here, so I'll make another post with 2 other projects I've done. Thanks for lookin so far everyone!

Westley Rosenbaum
02-16-2009, 1:00 PM
This next project was for my niece on her 4th birthday. She is getting into the barbie things, so I made her a barbie-sized bed and dresser. Made from scraps of Poplar I had and painted with GF's White Acrylic (had this left over from a larger project which I will post next :))...

and last project...

Westley Rosenbaum
02-16-2009, 1:11 PM
This was the project that really got me goin. It is a crib that I built out of Poplar and painted with GF's White Acrylic. The crib was made for my girlfriend's sister and her husband. We gave it to them for Christmas this past year. She did not have the baby yet, and tomorrow actually is when she is going in for a scheduled visit to be induced. They are going to name the baby Broderick (Brody for short), if you can't tell from the pictures :rolleyes: The most exciting part for me and this gift was the presentation at Christmas. Where we were having our get-together, My girlfriend Angie n I got there early and set the crib up in the spare bedroom and closed the door. They did NOT know they were getting this as a gift. So the last present we gave them was a little photo album of about 40 pictures showing the process of making the crib. From a pile of wood, to pics of Angie helping me sand stuff, paint stuff, and then the completed crib. At first they thought "What the heck is this?" and about half way through the pictures they knew what it was and both started crying. It was an awesome moment. Then we showed them the crib in the other room. It was a great time...

Forgot to add I used the kit that allows the front gate to be lowered about 6 inches. Also, this crib will be able to be converted into a day bed, then a twin bed. Thanks for lookin everyone! Any critiques, comments welcome

John Schreiber
02-16-2009, 1:44 PM
Looks great. That Barbie stuff will probably be used and appreciated for generations of little girls.

Jim Becker
02-16-2009, 2:37 PM
Very nice work, Westley!

gary Zimmel
02-16-2009, 6:37 PM
Welcome to the Creek Westley

Great looking projects. Nicely done.

Ted Shrader
02-16-2009, 7:28 PM
Westley -

That is some nice stuff you have made. Welcome to the Creek.

Regards,
Ted

Phil Thien
02-16-2009, 9:21 PM
It all looks great! Fantastic attention to detail!

Westley Rosenbaum
02-17-2009, 1:13 AM
Thanks for the welcomes and the kind words everyone. You guys have some really nice projects you've shared. Looking forward to what's to come.

Mark Singer
02-17-2009, 9:10 AM
Excellent job! It all comes together.

Jason Tuinstra
02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Welcome to SMC. Good to have you around. Nice job with the projects.

Brian Effinger
02-17-2009, 10:54 AM
That is great looking furniture, especially the crib. Nice job! :)

Brian