PDA

View Full Version : Request help from Omaha Creekers...

Michael Schumacher
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
I've had my G0490 jointer for a year now - thought things were setup on it - I went through and got the blades all set to the outfeed table a while back. This weekend it seems that I cannot for the life of me be able to get a long board straight. I thought the tables were correct, but I'm wondering if the infeed is low next to the blades...

So if there is anyone out there that has the technique down pat AND/OR has a good straight edge to help determine if the jointer is in line or not that would be great.

Please send me a PM and maybe we can work something out for your help.

Michael

Michael Schumacher
02-21-2009, 8:30 AM
Bump...Bump...Bump...

Steve Rozmiarek
02-21-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm on the wrong end of the state, but here is something you could try. I got this from the Felder owners manual, and it's pretty clever.

Raise the outfeed table up above the height of the cutter. Lower the infeed table so that it is below the top of the cutter. These are not precise measurments, you just need them positioned relative to the cutter. Next take a short piece of board, or a rule, 5 to 12" long and lay it on your outfeed table so that it hangs over the cutter. Oh yea, make sure the jointer is unplugged:eek:. Now as you turn the head by hand, the cutter should not touch the whatever object you layed on the outfeed table.

To adjust, lower the outfeed table until the rotation of the cutter (by hand) just touches the rule or board. Felder says that the cutter should move the rule 3mm as it passes underneath it. Thats about 3/32". Once you get that adjusted, raise the infeed table to 1/16" under you setup rule, and give your machine a test run. It should work perfect.

If you end up with a bowed board still, tiny adjustments of the outfeed table may still be needed, but I doubt you will. The general idea of the setting you are trying to get is the knives reaching their highest mark a few thousanths above the height of the outfeed table. Infeed just sets the dept of the cut.

Good luck!

harry strasil
02-21-2009, 12:09 PM
just use a long level for a straight edge

David DeCristoforo
02-21-2009, 12:15 PM
In addition to having your outfeed table tangent to the cutting circle, you want to apply downward presure on the outfeed side only. Presure on the infeed side should only be sufficent to move the stock ovet the cutter and onto the outfeed table. If you apply downward presure on the infeed table, you will never get a straight edge....