PDA

View Full Version : jointer question on rabbeting

Ed Calkins
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I am considering jointers (e.g.G0609X) with the carbide spiral heads -- somewhere I read that the rabbeting feature on jointers does not work properly with spiral insert heads and is intended for regular cutter heads -- now I cannot find where I read that. Is that true, and if so what is the significance of losing the function of the rabbeting feature? I've never owned a jointer, just used them, so this may be obvious to most. Ed :confused:

Chip Lindley
02-16-2009, 4:18 PM
You hear Right, from what I have seen discussed in these threads! But, you are not Losing Much! The rabbet function of any jointer is *archaic* by todays standards. Cutting end grain OR across grain rabbets on a jointer makes me Cringe!

A router, or TS / RAS with dado head lend themselves to making rabbets safer, cleaner and more accurately. In all my years I have NEVER entertained the idea of rabbeting on a jointer, and I won't be starting now!

glenn bradley
02-16-2009, 4:37 PM
I agree with Chip, this is a minimal issue if it is a problem on the jointer you're considering. I have no issues rabbeting on my G0490X but I have the factory installed spiral head; maybe this makes a difference? I only did it a couple times to see how it worked. I doubt I will EVER do it again; there are just too many better way to accomplish this. I would assume the G0609X would function correctly as well(?). A quick call to Griz would give you your answer if you feel this is a feature you will actually use.

Bruce Wrenn
02-16-2009, 9:44 PM
You hear Right, from what I have seen discussed in these threads! But, you are not Losing Much! The rabbet function of any jointer is *archaic* by todays standards. Cutting end grain OR across grain rabbets on a jointer makes me Cringe!

A router, or TS / RAS with dado head lend themselves to making rabbets safer, cleaner and more accurately. In all my years I have NEVER entertained the idea of rabbeting on a jointer, and I won't be starting now!You might want to look at newest issue of FWW. The is an article on jointing boards too wide for your jointer. (Not mine- boo hoo!) I have done this for years, but success depends upon having a rabbeting ledge.

Ed Calkins
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone -- the rabbeting ledge is there it is just a question of rabbet cut quality with the helical heads vs a straight knife design I believe. Anyway, thks to the responses, this is not on my list of things to think about re. jointer and cutter selection anymore. Issue resolved. Ed :)