PDA

View Full Version : Just getting into Routers, looking for information

Andy Favors
02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I've been looking at the various bits for routers, and it's overwhelming. Does anyone know of a site that will have information on when to use a variety of different bits? I'm sure they are out there, but for some reason I can't find anything right now. I'm not talking about just pictures of what the cut will look like, but what project the bit could be used to make. Thanks.

Brian Kent
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Andy, a great place to start is

http://www.patwarner.com/

He is the man on routers. I don't know if he has the specific info you are looking for, but he really gives some great stuff.

Brian

Joe Scharle
02-16-2009, 12:22 PM
www.mlcswoodworking.com (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com) is a good source too. Pat is the router expert, so bookmark his site.

Andy Favors
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm reading pat's site now. Very informative. I don't think he has what I was looking for, but enjoy it for more information. This should keep me busy a while, :D I'll look at mlcs some more when I get done with this too. Thanks.

Anthony Whitesell
02-16-2009, 1:06 PM
Although I don't have a website for you to look at, I would say that the best resource will be a good catalog. I don't believe that there is a website that will specifically answer when to use which bit. There are lots of bits to use, but not lots of uses for a particular bit.

You could almost classify the bits into general and special purpose. You can do lots of neat things with the bit in the general category (into which I would place, straight, radius, cove, chamfer, etc.) with the right setup or jig. In the special purpose category (drawer lock, train track, crown molding, etc.), you will find that they do one job extremely well, 2-10 times better than any combination of general purpose bits) and aren't much good at anything else.

Alan Schwabacher
02-16-2009, 3:52 PM
Check out a library or bookstore for:
"Working with routers (New best of fine woodworking)"

Hylton's "woodworking with the router"

A significant fraction of the Fine Woodworking book is articles by Pat Warner AKA Routerman. His website and other books are also good.