PDA

View Full Version : Big 60 - New lathe Input

james bell
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Wife is going to let me buy a new lathe for my 60th. Her budget is unlimited (my money?), but with the economy I would like to keep it around $2K. Application is strictly bowl turning, and shop space is not an issue.

I was looking at the Nova DVR XP, but not sure if it is worth the extra money over the 1624-44, or if anybody out there has other suggestions.

Any and all information/advice would be sincerely appreciated.

thanks ... jim

Nathan Hawkes
02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey there, and happy birthday! I'm in the midst of choosing an upgrade as well. I'd offer a suggestion to go with a variable speed lathe. Changing belts is fine for a while, but after a bit, no matter what the swing or power of your lathe, changing belts gets very old! I have an older rockwell that I beefed up to swing 17in, stiffened the stand, and added a 1.5HP motor. It has power, not enough ridgidity, and boy is it a pain to stop everything and change the belt over! Also, having turned on a friend's DVRXP, it seems to have as much power when wired to 110V power as my lathe does on 220V!! The motor is direct drive, so there is no drivetrain loss, and is incredibly! smooth! You need to build a serious stand for it to be very stable though. The JET 1642 may be a better fit for you if you're looking for a plug-N-play lathe. There are both 1.5 and 2HP models, the 1.5 if you only have 110V power. You'll not be sorry if you get a variable speed lathe, and probably will at some point if you opt for the belt change model, at least if you have the budget to start, anyway. Hope this helps...

Nate

Bob Hallowell
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
How about the vega bowl lathe? I hope to get one when I build my shop some year

http://www.southern-tool.com/store/vega_2400t_bowl_lathe.html

David Walser
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
In full size lathes, I still consider the PM 3520B to be the best value. With a its headstock slid to the end of the bed, you can turn a 40"+ bowl or platter. Over the bed, you've got room for a 20" bowl and have the capacity to turn a long spindle, too. It has plenty of power. In short, it's more lathe than most of us will ever need.

The PM's little brother, the Jet 1642, also has a sliding headstock. Many on this forum have the Jet and love it. It just isn't as large as its big brother and cannot deal with an out of balance blank as easily as the PM.

The Nova lathes are very nice and you can swivel their headstock to turn a large bowl. However, there's no way they can handle a large out of balance blank as well as the big PM iron.

Would you consider buying a used lathe? I've seen used Woodfast lathes, with 20" plus swings and variable speed, for $2k or less. Unlike the PM, Jet, and Nova lathes, the Woodfast's headstock does not slide or pivot. However, a short-bed Woodfast makes an excellent bowl turning lathe. As nice as the PM, Jet, and Nova are, they are "consumer grade" lathes. The Woodfast (Vicmark, Oneway, Robust, Serious, Stubby, et al) is a "professional grade" lathe. Are there differences? Yes. Most of us might not be able to tell the difference or think the difference is worth the money, but the differences are there. I love the PM 3520B, but it's just not as smooth and stable as a well maintained Woodfast or Vic.

If money really is no object, then consider the Oneway, Robust, Stubby, and Serious lathes.

charlie knighton
02-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I would like to keep it around $2K

i believe the jet 1642 evs 2 hp is right around that price with the
jet 1642 evs 1.5 hp is under $2k and i own one and am very happy with it, i added outboard turning stand which i am getting up the courage to use

Kim Ford
02-16-2009, 1:13 PM
James;

There are a lot of good lathes out there and in every price range, however, (and there is always a however), just remember tooling, chisels, grinder, chucks and the lot are going to quite quickly add up. So be sure and budget accordingly.

One other comment, and to me it's a biggie. Vairable Speed is not just handy, it is really an advantage when turning bowls. First the start up is soft so you have the abiltiy to react if there is a problem. And second it allows you to dial in the correct speed for what you are doing, not compromise to what the belt ratios allow.

Just My two cents. Good luck with whatever you do.

Thanks

Kim

Richard Madison
02-16-2009, 1:20 PM
Another vote for Jet 1642-EVS-2.

james bell
02-16-2009, 1:22 PM
thanks for all the input. the PM got top ratings but a little more than I am willing to spend (need the Dow to go up A L O T).

Vega 2600 looks sweet as well as the Jet 1642. Need to get a little more info then search for a good price w/shipping. Kinda leaning between the Vega and Nova, but time will tell. Last lathe I will probably purchase, so don't want to rush in and be sorry.

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2009, 4:57 PM
James - I have the Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp and love it! It is close to your price range and worth considering. The sliding headstock makes a world of difference when turning bowls - no bending over the ways! Other thing is - should you decide at some point in the future to turn hollow forms - the bed on the Jet would come in handy should you decide on using a captive hollowing system. Plus, with a 42" bed - the occasional spindle project would never be a problem.

I did add a ballast box under the lathe bed and filled it with 7 bags of concrete bringing the weight up to around 730 pounds. It does make a difference when turning out of round blanks.

Also, the variable speed is important (to me) when turning bowls. With a small adjust in speed - up or down - you can remove any vibrations in the lathe caused by the blank. With a belt system - you do not have that option.

Best of luck with your decision and have a Happy Birthday!

Tom Steyer
02-16-2009, 5:04 PM
First - don't buy a lathe without electronic variable speed. In your stated price bracket, and for all the reasons already stated, I don't think you can beat the Jet 1642, in either 1.5 or 2.0 hp.

Wally Dickerman
02-16-2009, 5:11 PM
Jim, today's sliding headstock lathes with dial speed control is the only way to go. You can't really appreciate the value of a shortbed lathe that you can get with a sliding headstock until you've used it. Lowest speeds with a belt change lathe is way too fast for unbalanced blanks. With dial speed control you can fit the speed to whatever you're turning.

All of that for under 2k can be had with the 16 in. Jet. At the recent Desert Roundup symposium in Mesa, Az. all of the demonstrators were using the Jet 16. They were for sale after the symposium for $1599.

Wally

David Walser
02-16-2009, 5:21 PM
...At the recent Desert Roundup symposium in Mesa, Az. all of the demonstrators were using the Jet 16. They were for sale after the symposium for $1599. Wally makes a good point (per usual). You might contact the supplier of the lathes at the Desert Woodturning Roundup to see if they have any left at that price. Depending on shipping costs, you could save some dollars. Here's a link: http://www.timber-woodworking.com/

Gary Kvasnicka
02-16-2009, 7:20 PM
James,

I have a Nova DVR 3000 It is the model before the XP. I have really enjoyed the variable speed and the swivel headstock. My budget was not as large as yours, I got lucky and found mine used, it's previous owner moved up to a Stubby. I have also turned on a friend's Jet 1642EVS-2, you can't go wrong either way.

Paul Douglass
02-16-2009, 9:47 PM
The jet 2 hp $2200 free shipping 1.5 hp is $1900 free shipping. Go for it. I would if I had the money!

I have then Nova 1624 because it was the best I could get for the money I was willing to spend. I don't mind the belt changing, because I play at turning. Someday when that stock market goes back up..... I'd still like to have the VS. As in the jet or powermatic. Problem is the prices of the lathes are going up a lot faster than the stock market.

Alan Trout
02-16-2009, 9:50 PM
With the right stand the Nova DVR can take anything you can put on it. What I like about the DVR is the compact footprint but yet can be expanded to a longbed lathe with just the optional hinge and bed segment. Here is a link to mine. By the way it is one of the smoothest running lathes I have ever seen even compared to lathes costing over twice the price. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001

Good luck

Alan

Jim Kountz
02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
+1 for the Jet 1642 evs.

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Happy Birthday James. I have the DVR now for two years and love it. I will agree with Alan that it is a smooth running machine. I went out shopping and turned on both the DVR and the 1642 2hp before I decided. I went with the DVR due to space restrictions. I know I would have been happy with either. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck in your choice.