PDA

View Full Version : I think the bleeding's stopped.

Greg Crawford
02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
I read someone's post about their first serious advice, learn sharp, get there and stay there (may not be an exact quote). I'm also getting the hang of sharpening by hand on oil stones, no jigs. I guess I'm getting there, since as I was checking for a burr before going to the strop on my 25 degree Veritas blade, I was about 1/8" deep in my finger before I even realized it. I felt a sting, so I think it hit a nerve. Sucker bled out at least a teaspoon of blood before I could even get over the waste basket.

Does this mean I'm finally getting to the "sharp" stage?

I tell you what, these hand tools are dangerous! I've only drawn blood on a power tool (router table) once, and it was just a nick as the bit was spinning down (cheap lesson in respect). Plane blades and chisels however, are like vampires to my fingers. I got some of the mesh tape to put on my fingers for doing the backs of blades, where I usually seem to get the most cuts, but didn't use it just for a quick honing. My bad.

Well, I can finally go back to work now without staining the wood.

Happy Presidents Day.

george wilson
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I have cut myself several times on hand tools. They do sneak up on you.I've planed a few"potato chips" off a thumb with a real sharp block plane,holding a small,odd shape part and planing it.

The most dangerous tools are chisels. They can go deep enough to sever the nerves,so be careful.

Richard Dooling
02-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Having said that, be sure to keep plenty of paper towels and duct tape on hand in case you do nick yourself.

harry strasil
02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
FWIW, Use your thumb nail to check sharp, hold your thumb down at a 45 degree angle, just barely rest the cutting edge about midway up your thumb nail, if its sharp it will not slide off, if it's the least bit dull, it will want to slide off.

David Keller NC
02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
"I tell you what, these hand tools are dangerous! I've only drawn blood on a power tool (router table) once, and it was just a nick as the bit was spinning down (cheap lesson in respect)."

Not nearly as dangerous as a power tool. There's no doubt you can give yourself a painful injury with a sharp hand tool, but the distinction with a power tool is momentum.

With a hand tool, it's only going to cut so far before you realize it and stop. With a power tool, the bit/blade is still spinning and chewing up flesh long after you've realized it - with amputation being the likely result.

I don't doubt there's someone out there that has managed to amputate a finger with a hatchet, but that's an extreme rarity. If the Sawstop advertisements are to be believed, table saw amputations aren't.

Justin Green
02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
That's the appeal of hand tools to me. I've nicked and gouged myself a couple of times on sharp chisels, but it's nothing compared to what a "nick" could be with a circular saw or table saw!

Greg Crawford
02-16-2009, 1:18 PM
Neat tip Harry, thanks.

As for power tools vs. hand tools, my comments were supposed to be taken tongue in cheek. I've met plenty of woodworkers that have lost lots of flesh and bone to power tools. That's why push sticks, push blocks, featherboards, etc., get plenty of use in my shop.

I know this is Neanderthal, but many of us use power tools along with the hand tools, so thought I'd mention this. Supposedly, the tablesaw is #1 in serious injuries, and the bandsaw #2. This was a surprise to me, and made me pay more attention to what I do on the BS. I think I was becoming way too complacent on that machine, as I guess others do, as well.

John Schreiber
02-16-2009, 1:42 PM
I sawed off about a 1/4" of my left thumb using a tree saw to trim a Christmas tree once. It all grew back, but there's no feeling in it anymore.

David Keller NC
02-16-2009, 2:02 PM
"Supposedly, the tablesaw is #1 in serious injuries, and the bandsaw #2."

Oddly enough, that doesn't necessarily mean that the table saw is the #1 dangerous tool in the shop, followed by the bandsaw. What's factored into the statistics is the frequency of use - if you use a bandsaw frequently, and a miter chop saw very infrequently, the miter saw can be a considerably more dangerous tool, but still be way down the list as far as the frequency.

What gets missed in the statistics a lot of times is a discussion about the consequences of an accident. A table saw is capable of, and frequently inflicts, a fatal injury. That's not likely with a bandsaw.

glenn bradley
02-16-2009, 2:21 PM
I was checking for a burr before going to the strop on my 25 degree Veritas blade, I was about 1/8" deep in my finger before I even realized it.

You should always perform this test with your tongue. :p

george wilson
02-16-2009, 2:25 PM
My comment was also,not meant to say that power tools are less dangerous than hand tools. I've cut through 2 fingernails,and well into the flesh from a saw kickback.Had 2 other small nicks. It's that I've cut myself many MORE times with hand tools. Why? Maybe we don't respect their danger as much as power tools,and let our guards down.Maybe the hand tools are in more intimate contact with our hands.

Certainly,the injuries are less severe with hand tools.I DID know a logger with a permanent limp who cut into his foot severely with an adze. But then,I knew another logger who fell on his chainsaw!!! All this in Alaska.

Jim Becker
02-16-2009, 2:49 PM
Yea, you're getting there. When I sharpened my Ashley Iles chisels the first time, I ended up with an ER visit...to top it off, it was a New Years Day ER visit. :rolleyes:

Joel Goodman
02-16-2009, 4:44 PM
My favorite was when my grown son was visiting I warned him about not cutting himself on the razor sharp chisels we were looking at -- and as I was talking and not paying attention I cut myself with one. We had a good laugh as he got out the bandaids for me.

Bob Burns
02-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I tell you what, these hand tools are dangerous! I've only drawn blood on a power tool (router table) once, and it was just a nick as the bit was spinning down.

I too have cut myself more on hand tools than power tools. The thing is, it is unlikely you will lose a finger with a hand tool. I know a few guys who are down to 9 fingers from various power tools.

I am glad I found this forum...great site for this novice!

James Owen
02-17-2009, 2:31 AM
I too have cut myself more on hand tools than power tools. The thing is, it is unlikely you will lose a finger with a hand tool. I know a few guys who are down to 9 fingers from various power tools.

I am glad I found this forum...great site for this novice!

Yes...it is very easy to lose a finger or more on a table saw, shaper, router, etc.

However, I defy you to cut your finger off with a hand saw.... :D

John Schreiber
02-17-2009, 8:31 AM
Yes...it is very easy to lose a finger or more on a table saw, shaper, router, etc.

However, I defy you to cut your finger off with a hand saw.... :D
Hey! Who are you to tell me what I can and can not do. I'll show you . . .

that you are right.

:D:D:D:D:D

David Keller NC
02-17-2009, 9:20 AM
Speaking of chisels and gouges, one of the more darkly amusing things I've seen in companies' packaging is Flex-cut - the set of chisels I bought from them 10 years or so ago had a neat little plastic bandaid dispenser included in the box - there was no mention of this in the flyer that came with the tools - I expect they figured they'd sent the message with just its inclusion.

Matt Ranum
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
"I sawed off about a 1/4" of my left thumb using a tree saw to trim a Christmas tree once."

Ah yes, Christmas Trees. We use 24" stainless knives that I sharpen on a
diamond stone. I demonstrate to the kids every year how seriously sharp they are by shaving the hair on my arms with them. And yet, by being stupid I usually have to take someone in once a season for stitches in a place that isn't even near the safety gear they wear. Never too serious, usually only 3-4 stitches but still done by being careless.

Bottom line is you need to respect the tool you are using no matter what it is.