PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 Table Saw GLOAT-The mother of all ebay deals?

Trace Beard
02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I was watching a new Powermatic 66 table saw last night on ebay that didn't have a reserve, it is a 5 hp, 3 ph, 52" rail saw. As the auction is closing, no one is bidding so I put in a last second bid of 1400.00 and won the saw for 1225.00 plus 250.00 shipping, WOW I can't believe it! I had a hard time sleeping last night.

Here are a couple screen shots from my iPhone.

Shawn Honeychurch
02-16-2009, 5:40 PM
Sweet, that's a nice score. You'll use that saw for years and years and then put it back up on eBay and make back at least 50% of what it cost you.

Larry Edgerton
02-16-2009, 6:07 PM
I have that same exact saw in my shop, it will serve you well, and has all the power you will need. That is an awesome price for a brand new saw!

Brian Frances
02-16-2009, 6:22 PM
I was watching a new Powermatic 66 table saw last night on ebay that didn't have a reserve, it is a 5 hp, 3 ph, 52" rail saw. As the auction is closing, no one is bidding so I put in a last second bid of 1400.00 and won the saw for 1225.00 plus 250.00 shipping, WOW I can't believe it! I had a hard time sleeping last night.

Great Buy! I saw this one also and wondered who was the lucky person. A great purchase if you had 3 phase.

Nice Nice

Jason White
02-17-2009, 7:36 AM
You're much braver than I am!

I'd never be able to buy a tablesaw on eBay without being able to touch it, test it, smell it, etc.

Jason

Jim Kountz
02-17-2009, 8:40 AM
Sweet, that's a nice score. You'll use that saw for years and years and then put it back up on eBay and make back at least 50% of what it cost you.

If not more than he paid for it!!

Trace Beard
02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
You're much braver than I am!

I'd never be able to buy a tablesaw on eBay without being able to touch it, test it, smell it, etc.

Jason

What's the difference from buying it at woodcraft? It's going to be shipped by common carrier to either a terminal or to a woodcraft store in the same style shipping crate. It's not like woodcraft is going uncrate it and set it up or at least I wouldn't want them to. The crate and boxes are going to be picked up and unloaded by me, sight unseen no matter where I purchase this saw. I don't know of a tool company that keeps 5hp 3ph powermatic's on the showroom floor.

So isn't a crate a crate?

Trace Beard
02-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Hopefully I can get 30 plus years service out of it and won't need to ebay it.:D I like to purchase tools when I can that will last a lifetime...

Chris Padilla
02-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I assume the the 3-phase motor is cool with you. That is likely what kept the hits on it down. Still a great score.

Trace Beard
02-17-2009, 10:15 AM
I assume the the 3-phase motor is cool with you. That is likely what kept the hits on it down. Still a great score.

The 3 ph and ending on a sunday night is why I started watching in the 1st place and probably kept the hits down. If this was a PM2000 it would have had a lot more attention.

I have a rotary phase converter that I purchased just so I could pick up heavy duty, industrial style tools cheaper than 1 ph.

Steve H Graham
02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Even with the expense of an Ebay Baldor and a new starter, you're still way ahead of retail.

Chip Lindley
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
I assume you bought the NEW saw from a dealer, and the manufacturer's warranty in in effect! Thats Good! If you are set up for 3-phase, Even Better! Good GLOAT for a Brand New PM66!

I bought my PM66 with Exaktor slider, overarm DC guard, on a mobile base, at an estate auction for $1275. I had a hard time not raising my own bid !!

Edit: Has been my observation that more auctions start and end on Sunday evening than any other day of the week! I watch for the Tuesday/Noon endings, and usually get a better bargain! I would say that being 3-ph had everything to do with your GLOAT price...NOT being a PM2000 didn't! The PM66 is one helluva saw, to which other 10" cabinet saws are compared but seldom equal. The new PM2000's claim to fame remains to be seen!

Trace Beard
02-17-2009, 10:37 AM
I assume you bought the NEW saw from a dealer, and the manufacturer's warranty in in effect! Thats Good! If you are set up for 3-phase, Even Better! Good GLOAT for a Brand New PM66!

I bought my PM66 with Exaktor slider, overarm DC guard, on a mobile base, at an estate auction for $1275. I had a hard time not raising my own bid !!

New with warranty from an authorized dealer, I wouldn't purchase any other way online.

"I had a hard time not raising my own bid !!" lol:)

Shawn Honeychurch
02-17-2009, 1:14 PM
Hopefully I can get 30 plus years service out of it and won't need to ebay it.:D I like to purchase tools when I can that will last a lifetime...

What, your implying that in 30 years it won't still be going strong? Heck in that case I'll be happy to take it off your hands in 30 years. :D

Dave Bureau
02-17-2009, 1:25 PM
For what its worth.. Last year I was looking at some tools from this seller. Someone was using his name to try and scam. I emailed him and he didnt know anything about it. make sure you get his phone number and talk to him to make sure he is the one selling the tools. Just be careful.

Trace Beard
02-17-2009, 3:11 PM
For what its worth.. Last year I was looking at some tools from this seller. Someone was using his name to try and scam. I emailed him and he didnt know anything about it. make sure you get his phone number and talk to him to make sure he is the one selling the tools. Just be careful.

I did call and speak with a customer service rep. before I purchased the saw. I also pd through paypal and used my amex so I think I'm covered incase something happens.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye my CC.

Jason White
02-17-2009, 3:56 PM
Ahh... didn't see the mention of Woodcraft in your post.

Sorry, my bad.

Jason

What's the difference from buying it at woodcraft? It's going to be shipped by common carrier to either a terminal or to a woodcraft store in the same style shipping crate. It's not like woodcraft is going uncrate it and set it up or at least I wouldn't want them to. The crate and boxes are going to be picked up and unloaded by me, sight unseen no matter where I purchase this saw. I don't know of a tool company that keeps 5hp 3ph powermatic's on the showroom floor.

So isn't a crate a crate?

Dave Bureau
02-17-2009, 4:12 PM
I did call and speak with a customer service rep. before I purchased the saw. I also pd through paypal and used my amex so I think I'm covered incase something happens.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye my CC.

thats good. and if all works out, you got a hell of a deal!

jim sauterer
02-17-2009, 5:03 PM
i bought a jointer from bibb about 18 months ago.they were great for me.i had it shipped to terminal and i picked it up.i believe i had it in 4 days.

Steve Mellott
02-17-2009, 5:55 PM
About 6 months ago, I bought a lathe from Bibb Tools for much less than the retail price (after applying the Cashback and eBay discounts). The people at Bibb Tools were very good to work with.

Steve