PDA

View Full Version : Harpsichord project

Bill Sampson
07-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Long.

It has been said, that if one does not stretch beyond their capacity to complete a task, regression occurs. There were many days during the eight months of constructing this project that I knew it was "beyond my capacity."
It is now completed and I trust it meets the standards of many of you on this forum.

It is a very accurate reproduction of an eighteenth century French Double harpsichord designed by Pascal Taskin and has grand concert quality sound.

Some background: A very special lady in the church we attend wanted to give a gift in memory of her late husband, who was very musical. It was decided that a harpsichord would be an appropriate gift. The problem was, the componet kit cost $14,000 and to have the harpsichord company construct it was another $14,000. That much was not available. It was at this point I was asked to build the unit for the church to save the additional $14M. My first answer was NO!! Well...

Many boxes containing about 3000 parts arrived at my home on Oct. 1, 2003, and work began that day. I knew what a harpsichord was, but I certainly didn't understand the mechanics of the piece. Needless to say, the learning curve was slow. Construction began on the bench, stand, and the music stand. The keys had to be set, matched, balanced and installed on pins in the key frames. The first picture is my wife marking the key notes so after each dissassembly, I could put them back in order. The second picture is about 4 months into the project. I started keeping a log of progress and time spent, but finally decided that the important item ,was the reason the piece was given, and it didn't really matter about the time.

When the case was nearly completed, I sent it to Atlanta to have it strung and voiced. A local physician in Atlanta, Adam Decker, who also builds harpsichords, did this work for us. While that was being done, I completed construction and painting of the stand and bench. Picture 3. After 5 weeks in Atlanta, picture 4 is the evening the unit was retruned to my home. The unit was tuned again, and Adam began playing. The piece came alive and the sound was worth every hour spent during the previous 8 months.

The last picture is the completed unit. I guilted the case with gold and the unit was deliverd to its intended place at the church.

Sorry the verbiage is so long, but I couldn't get 8 months work in two sentences.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Tom Hintz
07-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Nice project!
Maybe I'll build one this weekend....
Right after I learn to leap tall buildings in half-a-dozen bounds!!

Actually you screwed up my whole day. Now I have to sit down and rearrange my entire woodworking career path, adding a substantial upswing at the far end.
Thanks a bunch!

Martin Lutz
07-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Beautiful work!!! I cant imagine the time it took. Whats next on the agenda?

Jason Tuinstra
07-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Bill, all I can think to say is "Wow!" Your labor and generosity is to be commended on this one, not to mention your fine craftsmanship. Truly an A+ Thanks for sharing it with us.

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Wow! That is simply stunning...amazing work.

Bob Hovde
07-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Amazing! Check out the shop in the background of Pic #2. No wonder Bill could put 3000 pieces in the right place - even his shop is organized! :)

Bob

Dan Mages
07-08-2004, 12:29 PM
WOW!!! That is simply amazing work!!! Congrats on the completed project.

Dan

Alan Turner
07-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Nice work. Tell us about the kit. I have never used one, but then I have never built a harpsicord either. Did all the pieces of the wood come cut and fitted? Or, only teh moving parts, so to speak.
Could you now build one from scratch?
In your contribution to your church thre is much to be respected. It was substantial indeed.
Alan

Carl Eyman
07-08-2004, 12:43 PM
I just can't find words to adequately praise your work and your generosity.

Frank Pellow
07-08-2004, 12:51 PM
WOW I am overwhelmed! I would hever have the guts (or the skill) to tackle the construction of a harpsicord.

Aaron Koehl
07-08-2004, 1:10 PM
Bill,

That is truly a beautiful instrument. I wish I could have made it out west (to Richmond) when you still had it in your possession. I'll still have to stop by-

Bruce Page
07-08-2004, 1:16 PM
Stunning craftsmanship! :eek: :eek: :eek:

jerry cousins
07-08-2004, 1:19 PM
just wonderful. i too would like to hear more about the "kit."

jerry

Rob Russell
07-08-2004, 1:23 PM
Hmmm - work like that really makes me want to post pix of the puny little things I've done as a comparison. Not!

Incredible work. Kits may have the pieces, but there is a lot of work and skill required in assembling and finishing. You did well by the the donor .

Jim Ketron
07-08-2004, 1:24 PM
Thats an AWESOME job!!

WOW!!!!
Jim

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 1:47 PM
I only wish I lived closer so that I could have seen (and possibly played) this beautiful instrument in person. Wonderful job! Congratulations on its completion.

Roger Fitzsimonds
07-08-2004, 1:49 PM
That was truly a great accomplishment. You should be proud.

Roger

Pete Lamberty
07-08-2004, 2:31 PM
Bill that is absolutely fantastic. A really beautiful job. WOW!!!

John Shuk
07-08-2004, 3:19 PM
Wow! I bet chopsticks sounds great on that gorgeus piece!

Jim Guy
07-08-2004, 4:34 PM
I agree with the others who said "Words are inadequate".
Take a few weeks off and rest assured that your work and generosity will live on for many years to come.
Beautiful!!!!

Bill Sampson
07-08-2004, 5:38 PM
Thanks so much for the comments on the harpsichord. Confirmation from your peers is the greatest compliment of all.

Allen, the kit is from a company in Mass. Some of the parts were fitted, others were not. ie; several odd miter joints had to be fitted to the case. Key racks were dimentioned, but were custom fitted into the case. I would not attempt a French double from scratch without professional training. The bent side is laminated poplar and requires a large form. The sound board installaton requires more skill than I have.

Jim, I can arrange for you to play this instrument if you are ever in the Richmond area. I know the owner!!

John, Chopsticks does sound great on this piece. We hosted an eighteenth century tea the morning after the harpsichord was returned from Atlanta, and Chopsticks was played several times. Bach also sounds pretty good.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-08-2004, 9:46 PM
Absolutely great, Bill. I have just an inkling of the sense of satisfaction you must have viewing and listening to the finished product. BRAVO!!!!!!!!

Wes Bischel
07-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Stunning - the bar has been raised.

Wes

Tom Stovell
07-09-2004, 9:16 AM
Bill,
Excellent work on this project. It is a beauty!

Tom

Todd Burch
07-09-2004, 9:37 AM
Bill, what a servants' heart, using the gifts you were blessed with!

Many years ago, I made a dollhouse as a donation to an auction at my church. When I completed it, I looked up, and realized that it was not all my hands that made it. I suspect you felt the same way.

Very good job!

Donnie Raines
07-09-2004, 9:48 AM
What everyone else stated!

Wonderful!