PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 209HH Issues

Wayne Joyce
02-16-2009, 8:33 AM
I have had this planer for about a year and have had issues with it since day 1! The head leaves ripples down the board that that looks like chatter. There was an earlier discussion from a guy named Fisher. By his photos it looks at though we have the same problem. He never commented that he got the problem fixed or not. The planer is set exact to factory specs. I have tweaked an tinkered to no avail. I will be selling this planer soon! Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Wayne

CPeter James
02-16-2009, 9:37 AM
Where are you located and how much?

CPeter

Jim Eller
02-16-2009, 9:42 AM
Wayne,

I have a 209HH and I'll be over to pick yours up as soon as you give me directions :)

I get that effect once and a while but it is when I take an extremely light cut. It's more of a see thing than a feel thing. A little 220 with a ROS and it's gone.

I'm not sure if it's the byrd head that produces it or the feed roller but it sure is not an issue with mine.

I'll bring the two hundred dollars over when I pick it up.

Jim

Kevin Groenke
02-16-2009, 9:45 AM
Our 209HH isn't perfect, but has not ever been that problematic.

There are some good tips here:
http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/whitepapers/1791315_whitepaper.pdf

The following adjustments may alleviate your issues:
The 209hh has 2 sets of gears, the optional gears provide a slower feed rate which would effectively move the scallops closer together, and perhaps reduce them.

The 4 black ~5/8" socket head screws at the 4 corners of the top of the machine adjust the tension on the feed rollers. Try increasing the tension (clockwise) of all 4 of these 1 rotation at a time to see if it affects the output. We've found that the adjustment of this tension is a bit of a search for balance between an even and effective feed and dramatic snipe.

If neither of these changes you're machine may have a manufacturing flaw, I would call WMH.

g'luck
-kg