PDA

View Full Version : old bandsaw questions

Mark Grogan
02-16-2009, 7:17 AM
Not long ago, i bought a used 12-inch craftsman band saw. Looking up the model number (102.01121), I wasn't able to find much - but it appears that the machine is from around 1938.

For its age the saw seems to be in pretty good shape. The main problems that I am having are blade tracking and vibration. First the tracking problem. I've checked and think that the wheels are pretty much coplanar, so I guess the problem here could be wheels out of round, old tires or tension. The tires look ok, but the band saw did sit in an unheated workshop for I think at least five years, so maybe the rubber has seen better days. Also, the tension seems rather low. I imagine that the assembly could use a new spring - but I don't know if the commonly available one for 14" machines will fit it.

So, is the standard spring likely to fit? Also, from the given information - I hope the tracking problem is just with the tires - does that sound right to anyone else?

Now the vibration issue. When the the bandsaw is running, the motor actually bounces around quite a bit. When I remove the drive belt, the motor seems ok. From this, I think that the problem is either with the drive belt or the pulleys. Unfortunately I don't know how to check either for faults. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Mark, here are a couple ideas. The vibration is probably caused by a bad belt. Is it the one that came with the saw? Take if off and look it over for burnt spots, glazing or a set, which it should not have. If any of those symptoms are there, you'll need a new belt. NAPA can get a good one for you. How is the crown on the tires? It should not be flat on that saw, I don't think.

To test coplaner, you may have to take the table off or something, so you can get a straight edge to the sides of the wheels. To check the tires for a set, you can either get a dial indicator, which is a useful thing to have around the shop anyhow, or you can clamp something that just touches a wheel, and notice the gap change as you turn the wheel by hand. Try this on the sides of the wheels as well as the tires. There should be no change. If you do need new tires, I think the Carters will fit fine.

I'm not sure about the spring, but I'm sure that someone out there makes a replacement.

Good luck!