PDA

View Full Version : Applied end on kitchen cabinets

Bob Johnson2
02-16-2009, 7:15 AM
Trying to find out if the face frame should stay at 1.5" or go to 2.25" in front of an applied end, I'm planning on .75" prefinished on the inside of the end but also have .5" on hand. I'm thinking 2.25" but the different thickness might look goofy. These are half overlay, the applied end side of the cabinet will be hinged.

Thanks

Jay Brewer
02-16-2009, 7:38 AM
It is personal preference, I have done it both ways. You can build your face frame ( 1 1/2" ) flush with the inside of the cabinet on the side your planning the finished end, this way it looks balanced on the outside, but wont be on the inside. Or you can do it like in the picture and treat it like a false door.

Im not sure I follow the last part of your post. Sounds like you are hinging the finished end? I would build the side with a face frame and door just like the front.

Bob Johnson2
02-16-2009, 7:49 AM
I just meant that the face frame on the applied end will be a hinge side for the cabinet door. Didn't know if it would make a difference. If it were a non hinge side I figured I'd be able to over lap the door more and cover more of the face frame. Hadn't thought of the door look you used.