PDA

View Full Version : Auction Rust

Will Krautkramer
02-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Some Rust I purchased from an auction this weekend. Among the planes there is a #104 Stanley "liberty bell", a Stanley #10 1/2", a Stanley 60 1/2", a Mohawk-Shelburne #900 ", several misc block planes and a bed for a #7. Most are in pretty rough shape. The 10 1/2" has a cracked cheek were a previous weld repair failed. If I can get it brazed properly and locate a lever cap that will fit I think it could be a decent user.

I like the big slick chisels. Shame someone had to go at one with a hammer and mushroom the socket end.

Clay Thigpen
02-16-2009, 2:39 AM
Wow, I must be going to that wrong auctions, all I ever find is a piece or two of old common farm equipment and yard sale junk.

That is some nice rust you got there, I hope you can get the #10 1/2 brazed and working.

John Keeton
02-16-2009, 6:25 AM
You know you have work ahead of you when the wife won't let you lay them on the carpet to take a pic!! Looks like some jewels in the rough, though. Hope you were happy with the final price.

Bill White
02-16-2009, 9:18 AM
I can see it now. "Local area brown out caused by woodworker's use of electrolosis vat." Perpetrator says, "Gosh. I was only cleanin' up some old junk I found at an auction." Judge will sentence next week.:D
Nice haul.
Bill

Bill Houghton
02-16-2009, 1:38 PM
All that work to do...

Some comments:

1. I think the chisels are more likely framing chisels than slicks. Very useful tools if you're doing big work.

2. When you get the 10-1/2 brazed, ask the mechanic how s/he plans to hold the plane. You should hear something like, "I'll clamp down the front and back of it on a known flat surface." I bought a 10-1/2 years ago with the same problem. Initially, a friend welded it, and the sole in front of the mouth, on the welded side, was a good 1/8" higher than behind the mouth. I took it to my uncle (machinist on the Southern Pacific), and he ripped out the old weld and clamped it down, welded, and let it cool. It's fine now. Great tool, by the way.