PDA

View Full Version : First day with the 3520B

Richard Bell CA
02-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello all:

New to the forum and thought I might post about my first day with the Powermatic 3520B. I upgraded to this lathe from a Delta 46-612. While the Delta has been a good lathe, it lacked the turning capacity and slower speed I needed for larger bowls. The first bowl on the 3520B was a 14” black walnut/english walnut graft shown in the photo. I had started to turn this blank on the Delta, but was having trouble with the imbalance due to the difference in density of the wood, combined with a relatively high minimum speed. The diameter also required turning on the outboard side with a free standing tool rest. I was anxious to try the Powermatic table extension, so I started with this configuration. After the first bowl, I switched the tool rest to the main bed. The second photo shows the results at the end of the day. The bowls shown are a mixture of black and english walnut, from 6” to 17” diameter. These were all green, and have been coated with Sealtite (my normal method) and stored for drying.

This lathe is simply a pleasure to use - very solid and much quieter than the reeves drive on the Delta. While I am still getting used to it, it has already exceeded my expectations. I am in the process of gathering/ fabricating a few odds and ends that I will need for future work. I bought an adapter to allow use of my 1”-8 faceplates (under $19 at Amazon, very nicely machined and a great deal). I do wish they would have supplied a faceplate larger than 3” with the lathe. While I used it for a couple of 20” blanks without any issues, I feel more comfortable with a larger diameter. I just ordered a 6” faceplate for larger pieces. I also plan to build a steadyrest and some tools for hollow forms.

After checking out several forums, I decided I would like to participate in Sawmill Creek - seems like a friendly bunch. I have already benefited from reading the posts, and hope I can add something of value from time to time. I also plan to become a contributor to show my appreciation.

Thanks

Richard

Don Carter
02-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Welcome Richard. This is a great site to get some good advice. Looks like you can give some as well. There is a wealth of good ideas on this site. I look forward to seeing your work.

All the best.

Don

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Richard....Welcome to the Creek! I'm a Mustard Monster owner too! They are an awfully good lathe for the buck IMO.

Congrats!

Gerold Griffin
02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the Creek Richard. There a bunch of great guys here who regularly share thier knowledge and experience. By the looks of things you got alot of experience yourself. Congrats on the new lathe. Again welcome to the Creek.

David Christopher
02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the creek, youre right there are alot of friendly folks here. cant wait to see some of your finished work

alex carey
02-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Wow, look at all those shavings. Were those all different blanks or was that with a coring system? That is a ton of work for one day.

o yeah, welcome to the forum, good to have you. I too chose to only be apart of this forum after being apart of several others. I think by far the creek has the friendliest people around.

Alex

Ken Glass
02-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Richard,
Welcome to the Creek and welcome to the Mustard Monster Club. You will find this forum a wealth of knowledge and a very friendly group of Turners who dedicate themselves to helping others.

Brian Brown
02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Apparently you went a bit nuts with your mustard. Congratulations on a great lathe, and welcome to the forum. I see you use the same gravitational dust collector that I use....works every time!

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Richard - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

ROY DICK
02-16-2009, 7:32 AM
Richard,

Welcome to the Creek, and talk about jumping in with great pics too.

Roy

Gary Max
02-16-2009, 8:10 AM
Hope you are feeling better now----Welcome to the Mustard Club and the Creek

Richard Bell CA
02-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Alex: I did use an ancient McNaughton tool to core one blank into two bowls, just to try it out. I am still well down on the learning curve for this approach, but plan to use it more. The remainder were individual blanks.

Brian: As for the gravitational dust collection working every time, I seem to have a talent for producing gravity defying chips. It is amazing how far they will travel and where they can end up. For now, I am draping some plastic to help contain the chips and minimize the "racing stripe" effect inherent in green turning. I use dust collection when sanding, but it is simply not practical for stringy wet shavings.

Richard

Nathan Hawkes
02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Okay, one DAY???? Nice job, mate! I couldn't manage that in two or three days!
I do the same thing with the plastic curtains--I get those long ribbons somehow about 6' above the lathe in the loft of the shed, too. They seem to float up somehow! Nice job again, and I'm jealous!:D

alex carey
02-16-2009, 2:12 PM
I think the worst is when you start finding chips in your ears. It's just awkward.

Tony De Masi
02-16-2009, 7:08 PM
Richard, welcome to both the Creek and the Mustard Owners Group. Looking forward to seeing those bowls at the finished stage.

Tony

Gary Kvasnicka
02-16-2009, 7:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek Richard. Looking forward to seeing those bowls finished. Just what the creek needed...more mustard.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2009, 8:14 PM
Welcome Richard. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. That is a great looking group of bowls. Please post when they are finished.

Jim Kountz
02-17-2009, 1:44 PM
Welcome to the Creek Richard. Nice days work there, looks like fun!!