PDA

View Full Version : Help Requested - New Tools

Brian Riley
07-08-2004, 8:44 AM
Good Morning All.....

I would love to get your input / opinion on some new tool purchases I will be making in the next month or so to round out the larger tools for the shop. Following are the tools and the manufacturer / model I was thinking about getting. However your experiences and opinions would have an impact on my decision making process.

Uprade to 18" Bandsaw (Jet JWBS-18)

OSS (Jet JOVS-10)

Combo Sander 6 x 48 Belt / 12" Disc (Jet 708598K)
or
Combo Sander 6 x 48 Belt / 9" Disc (Jet 708597K)
Is it worth the extra cash for a 12" disc?

Full Size Lathe (I was looking at the Jet models but don't know enough about lathes to make an educated decision)
I have always wanted to learn to do turned projects and would rather start off with something that would take me through the years as opposed to having to upgrade down the road.

Drum Sander (Performax 16-32)

Mortiser (Jet JBM-5, Delta 14-651, Shopfox G9976)

Yes, the majority of my larger tools are Jet.

Thanks for your help and input.

Ed Hardin
07-08-2004, 9:49 AM
Brian, I can't fight your choice in Jet. They apparently make good tools though I do not own a single one. Most of mine are Delta, DeWalt and Fisch. I really can't see you going wrong with your choices but some really knowledgeable person will tell us both.

Tony Sade
07-08-2004, 10:06 AM
Brian-I sure have nothing against Jet tools-I loved my 6" jointer and have no complaints about my cannister DC-but I think you ought to consider Grizzly for a couple of the machines you've identified.

The combo sander-Take a look at Grizzly's G1276-a real beast and $488 to your door.

The OSS-check out Grizzly's G1071. ($588 with shipping) I've never seen a bad review of this sander.

I have both machines and love and use them a lot. I've heard it said that the combo sander isn't nearly as useful as an edge sander (which I've been working up to for a while) but I use mine regularly.

I have't carefully priced out the Jet models you're looking at but even assuming you can get free shipping via Amazon, you'll save a several hundred bucks at least on comparable units that you can spend on other toys by going green.

As for the Performax, I thought long and hard before I purchased the Delta 18-36 instead. (I'm a very part time hobbyist who couldn't justify the step up to a more expensive unit.) I only read one bad review of the Performax (while having seen plenty that praised it) but the one negative review I saw, by a guy who refused to sell his nearly new unit to me because he thought there was way too much flex in the head, convinced me to go with the Delta. I checked out both in the flesh at a Woodcraft and did detect a good deal more flex in the Performax. I'm happy with the Delta. (See Bruce Page's post below on the proper care and feeding of this sander. I asked Bruce a lot of questions before I made my decision and his experience with the sander helped make up my mind. I have a newer model that doesn't have the snipe problem he mentioned.)
HTH,

Chad Young
07-08-2004, 10:38 AM
I have the Grizzley G1014Z (6 x 48 Belt / 9" Disc) and love it and it only cost a little over $200.

Mark Singer
07-08-2004, 10:41 AM
The smaller Jet combo sander is great ! The 12" disc version is not worth the extra$$$...you could buy the 9" disc model and a seperate 12" disc only machine , have different grits and save money

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Brian, you have a good list to start with, but I'll also echo the others to consider other options, even if it's just as a sanity check. I am a Jet fan, even though I've moved up to Mini Max on somethings and would consider Jet for future tool purchases should they come about.

I've heard mixed reviews on the 18" Jet BS. Some folks like it a lot and others find it disappointing. There are some good tools in the same price range that offer similiar or MORE capacity and power, especially for resawing. This is one tool I can say you shouldn't skimp on...buy a good one now and it will make you smile for a long time.

I'll also pitch the G1276 combo sander...if you really need a combo sander. I bought the G1276 and am very happy with it. I consider it about the "best buy" out there for a 6"x48"/12" combo. That said, I wish I would have bought an edge sander instead. I don't use the disk at all and having the belt bigger and horizontal would be better for my projects in retrospect.

The Jet OSS is very nice, but again, there are some good alternative choices for these machines...and they are likely from the same assembly line. Grizzly, Sunhill, Bridgewood and others are alternatives to look at just for fun.

As to the Performax...I consider them the leader in this class of machine and have a 22-44 Plus arriving at my local dealer today or tomorrow, hopefully. (not-so-hidden pre-gloat) I chose it because it will not require me to "flip" 98% of my workpieces and because it's a proven design at only a $200 premium over the 16-32 Plus.

That leaves the lathe. If you can budget for it, the Jet 1642 or the PM 3520A are about the best values. They both include true VS and the capacity to do almost anything you need for both furniture and non-furniture turning. Both are heavy machines, too. If you need to invest less, the Jet 14" machine is the best buy, IMHO, and was the top unit in the March 2003 testing by WOOD Magazine.

My philosophy for buying tools is, "The most expensive tool is the one you need to replace early and often." I broke that rule too much early on and it cost me money. No longer. If I can't get what I really want "now", I'll wait a month or three until I can afford it.

So many choices...but tool shopping is quite fun!

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Brian
Be careful! Here you only have four replies from about 2700 members. That's not a good percentage. And you have a reply from Tony, who loves Grizzly. I purchase what I THINK I need - ah! hem! I own many manufacturers machines and equipment.
It's like asking what saw is better - Delta or Grizzly? Wow - do we come out of the woodwork, extolling the virtues of each machine and WHY it is better.
So I ask yoiu - if you want a Chevy truck and you get on the forum and ask which truck to buy, but you like Chevys - someone will say that Datsun mini truck are best - would you go out to buy the Datsun or the Chevy.
I bought a machine from an outfit that sells Scratch and Dent machines and have a wonderful Performax 16-32 sander without having to buy the base, AND - "what a deal". I love it, but that's the only sander I have ever owned. It does a real nice job of sanding - who cares about run out or deflection - it sands.

Get what you THINK you want to buy. You'll be happier for it. If someone touts that you should have bought another machine then go back - STOP - and do your homework again - Do the research - read the magazine articles and go to the "testing" websites to observe the masters use the machines.

Buy for price
Buy for looks
Buy for the work you have for the machine
Read the post about the dovetail jig and Mark's comments concerning handtools

Daniel - the man with allot of BS. :D

Joseph N. Myers
07-08-2004, 7:21 PM
Brian,

I was going to suggest the new Performax 22-44 (over the 16-32) but see that Jim Becker beat me to it. I have one of the earliest 16-32 and after a couple of years of being a beta site for them, ended up with a pretty good machine. They have improved greatly over the past 10 years.

Regards, Joe

Cecil Arnold
07-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Good Morning All.....

I would love to get your input / opinion on some new tool purchases I will be making in the next month or so to round out the larger tools for the shop. Following are the tools and the manufacturer / model I was thinking about getting. However your experiences and opinions would have an impact on my decision making process.

Uprade to 18" Bandsaw (Jet JWBS-18)

OSS (Jet JOVS-10)

Combo Sander 6 x 48 Belt / 12" Disc (Jet 708598K)
or
Combo Sander 6 x 48 Belt / 9" Disc (Jet 708597K)
Is it worth the extra cash for a 12" disc?

Full Size Lathe (I was looking at the Jet models but don't know enough about lathes to make an educated decision)
I have always wanted to learn to do turned projects and would rather start off with something that would take me through the years as opposed to having to upgrade down the road.

Drum Sander (Performax 16-32)

Mortiser (Jet JBM-5, Delta 14-651, Shopfox G9976)

Yes, the majority of my larger tools are Jet.

Thanks for your help and input.
I think you have been looking in my shop. I considered both the Jet and Delta bandsaws when I upgraded, but like Jim said, consider spending a little more on some of the better choices (more hp, better resaw, etc). I like the Jet OSS (I have the benchtop) the only thing negative I can say is that it is very heavy to lug from under the workbench when I need it. The dust collection works well using a shop vac. The 6x48 / 9" disk is useful, but in my experience the dust pick-up is not nearly as effective as I would like. I can't offer an opinion on other sanders. Jim's advice on the lathes is right on as far as I'm concerned. I had to poor-boy it and got the 1442, which is adiquit, but would like to be able to turn larger bowls and have a true VS. in 14" lathes I think the Jet just beats out the Delta, but not by much. I also have the Pmax 16-32 and, again like Jim, think you might be better with the larger unit or possibly the Delta. I have problems with keeping the drum aligned, feel it eats very expensive rolls of paper, and clogs up from glue too easily. All this may be attributable to being an occasional clutz on my part. I also have the Jet bench-top mortiser, and would really advise you to look at the new Delta, as it appears to be somewhat more stable and the hold-down seems to be better. The hold down, to me, is the weak point of the bench top units I have looked at. Hope that's helpful.

Dave Malen
07-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Brian,
Re: bandsaws,
If you have the money you can't go wrong with the MM-16. Recently in fine woodworking there was a review of bandsaws. The author reccommended the Rikon 18 as a best value. I think they go for around $1000.

Re: sanders,
I have the Jet edge sander and a seperate 12 inch jet disc sander.
Both tools have their strenghts. The edge sander has a large table thats great for putting a cabinet door on for - you guessed it - sanding the edge.
The disc sander is great for outside curves. If you can afford it get both. If not get an edge sander first. It seems that in almost every project I do I'm always going over to the edge sander.

Dave

Brian Riley
07-09-2004, 7:09 AM
Thanks much guys......

This is exactly what I was looking for. Believe me, I've read the magazine reviews, researched online, read online reviews from "real users" but I would much rather take into consideration the actual usage experience from people I can ask questions of.

I started looking at the MM-16 bandsaw compared to the Jet 18" and even though it is a good bit more money you sure do seem to get more for it.

I also like the idea of having a separate edge sander and disc sander. It makes sense.

Now, time to start making a comparison chart.

Brian

BTW - Is Mini Max USA the only place you can purchase their machines?

Jim Becker
07-09-2004, 8:40 AM
BTW - Is Mini Max USA the only place you can purchase their machines?Techically, no...but there are only a few outlets and I could be wrong, but I believe they are firms that were engaged prior to Mini Max USA being formally setup as a direct sales organization. You should call MM regarding pricing because they currently have IWF "specials" on virtually everything.

Brian Riley
07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Update...

Well, I just got off the phone with Mini Max and it looks like I will be the proud owner of a new MM16 within the next few weeks.

Thanks for the input in regards to the bandsaw.

Brian