PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 14-RAS Tuning Question

Jacob Szajkowski
02-15-2009, 9:23 PM
I picked up a Rockwell Radial Arm Saw about a year ago at an auction and it has been sitting in my garage since then unused. I now have the time to put into it and realizing I have some problems that I cannot figure out. The blade is now parallel with the turret arm but when I pull it in and out as if cutting something, the blade migrates accross laterally about an eighth of an inch. If I were to turn it on it would make a unsquare cut. If there is anyone out there who has experience fine tuning RAS's I would really appreciate any nuggets of experience. Thanks.

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2009, 9:37 PM
First, move this to General Woodworking forum. Second, get a copy (down load from Delta's web site) and check out alignment.

Kevin Looker
02-16-2009, 7:18 AM
I have a DeWalt, not a Delta but the principles are the same. From what you describe it sounds like the blade is parallel to the arm but the carriage does not move parallel to the arm.

If this is the case, you need to look at the ways the carriage runs on. They are somehow misaligned with the arm or very dirty but I think the carriage would be hard to pull if they were that dirty.

I also know that the ways are replaceable on the Deltas which is a very nice feature. On a DeWalt, you have to get the arm machined - very expensive.

Good luck.

Steve Leverich
02-16-2009, 5:30 PM
I have an older Craftsman RAS, but principles are the same - somewhere in the joint between the main column and the arm there should be 2 or 3 heavy bolts holding the two pieces together. These are probably under the dust cap of the column, and inside the column.

The basic procedure is to get an accurate carpenter's square, mark one tooth of the blade, set blade height to just clear the table top, place the marked tooth at the bottom of the blade, then move the square so that one leg runs along the fence - slide the square over til it just touches the marked tooth, then pull the carriage toward you and see how much the tooth shifts toward or away from the leg of the square that is NOT against the fence.

If, say, the tooth moves to your right AWAY from the square by 1/8", you would then loosen the heavy bolts I mentioned in the first paragraph and (with the miter setting LOCKED at 90 degrees) pull the arm sideways about the distance the blade tooth is off.

Snug 1 or 2 of the big bolts, and recheck. Repeat as necessary, this is pretty much a "cut and try" operation.

Once you're happy (the blade tooth should just "kiss" the arm of the square for the full length of saw travel) you're done with miter setting - now SERIOUSLY tighten the big bolts (there will probably be lock washers under each)

When setting miter angle (including BEFORE the above adjustment) it's most accurate to ALWAYS bring the arm to the same side (I use the right side) of "0" and then slowly move it left til the detent snaps in, then tighten the miter lock - this gives repeatability, and if you're not too vicious when doing this the saw should stay aligned for a long time.

HTH... Steve

Jacob Szajkowski
02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
First, move this to General Woodworking forum. Second, get a copy (down load from Delta's web site) and check out alignment.

How do I move this to another forum Bruce?

Greg Sznajdruk
02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the world of RAS the only way to align the saw properly is to get the manual for this particular saw. A lot of patience and trial and error will eventually get the saw aligned. Having said that it can and will go out of alignment just sitting in your shop.

And this is the General Woodworking and Power Tool forum.

Greg

Jacob Szajkowski
02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks guys. I do need to get the manual to this saw, as it didn't come with it in the auction. I might be looking at some new "ways" as stated above because the blade seems to be aligned with the fence when it is near the fence but as the carriage moves out, the blade veers off to the right ending up about an eighth of an inch off, making a nicely crooked cut. Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll report on how it turns out.

Joe Jensen
02-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Welcome to the world of RAS the only way to align the saw properly is to get the manual for this particular saw. A lot of patience and trial and error will eventually get the saw aligned. Having said that it can and will go out of alignment just sitting in your shop.

And this is the General Woodworking and Power Tool forum.

Greg

True for cheap RAS, but not for my 14" old iron DEWALT. Set it at 90 18 years ago and it's a perfect 90 still today...joe

Chip Lindley
02-22-2009, 5:03 AM
Jacob, the rods in your ways are fine if the bearings run smoothly in them without slop or play. Those rods can be rotated when worn to give a new bearing surface. Your ways are not the issue. The saw arm is simply NOT aligned 90deg to the fence. The table boards are bolted down for removal OR adjustment. Easier to loosen the bolts and adjust the table until the fence is 90deg from the blade travel, than to tear the saw apart looking for gremlins!

But, finding a copy of the Manual for you saw will be helpful in many areas. OWWM.com has your manual. Look under Delta Manufacturing Company/Publications, to find your model number.

Rockwell/Delta made some fine old iron. I have the BIG 18" 7.5hp RAS. I LOVE IT!