PDA

View Full Version : Saw Stop first impression feedback and questions.

Tony Scolaro
02-15-2009, 8:03 PM
Hi all
Many of you were very helpful to me in making my decision. I raised a little dust with questions about quality and comparing it to General 650. I also had questions about the Taiwanese motors v Baldor. I can't address the motor yet. The 5hp SS is still on pallet waiting for more muscle to help unload. If I don't like it I will say it if I do I will do the same. I am not the type who has to justify my purchase by raving about it. Ok I can not believe how nice it is so far. It came cosmetically in perfect condition due to being so well backed. The instruction manual is the best I have seen. Now the table top, remember me and the casting, well the darn thing is flat. I put, what I have, a 18" Starrett straight edge front and back of throat plate. I couldn't get a feeler gauge under it. I could not even get a piece of paper under it. Me was happy. I still figure it is a softer cast but it looks perfect and fine grain. So we shall see how it fires up and cuts. I will post.

Out of curiosity, did most people buy the extension table? Why? I tend to say hey we are wood workers we make things.

Also I never had a mobile table saw I know the advantages any draw backs? Stability? What about the Saw Stop mobile base, crazy expensive, any justification? Thanks all and work safely Tony

Alan Frazier
02-15-2009, 8:27 PM
We got the cabinet saw at school after the teacher cut his thumb off, It is great, very nice to use. I would love to have one at home but I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the price unless I start building more than just guitars. Whenever I have a lot of pieces to cut I bring them there to use it.

Tim Malyszko
02-15-2009, 9:01 PM
I can't speak of the sawstop itself, but I would put any saw I owned on a moble base, just to be able to move and easily clean around it.

Congratulations on the Sawstop purchase. My wife and I were in Woodcraft today and she gave me the go-ahead to purchase one if I save for it. She is so scared that I will lose a finger, so the $3k to $4k cost is even justified to her. I had a close call with my Festool plunge cut saw on Christmas Eve and the only thing that probably saved my finger tip was the quick snapback of the plunge action when I realized what happened. Losing a finger is my biggest fear in the workshop.

With that being said, I plan on purchasing the mobile base when I buy mine (hopefully in a year or so) even though I really don't plan on moving it all that much.

Enjoy the new saw.

Don Bullock
02-15-2009, 9:05 PM
Tony, congratulations on your new SS. I didn't buy the extension table either and the SS mobile base wasn't available when I bought mine. My SS is on a HTC mobile base that was recommended by the place I bought it from. It does come in handy and the saw is very stable on it. I don't see any drawbacks to the mobile base. Enjoy your new saw.

Tim, congratulations on your pending SS purchase. My wife told me to buy one after she saw the SS videos.

Tony Scolaro
02-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks a correction I have purchased it. It is pending set flip the switch. I am sort of currently table saw less. Also I did by the the extension table but I am having a hard time opening up the box. I also went back and bought the mobile base. But at $300 they are not giving it away and I can easily return it. I bought it as a just in case I decide I need it. I am having trouble fitting the 52" fence without moving a 2000 belt sander. What did the HTC set you back? Thanks Tony

george wilson
02-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Current grinding technology is superior to the old Blanchard grinding,so the top should be flatter,barring seasoning problems with the cast iron top.

Blanchard grinding is where you see those big round swirls that radiate around the throatplate. Essentially a big cup type wheel. It is the least accurate type grind,only good for about +-.0015" accuracy. Those nice clean unidirectional grinding patterns on recent machines,is due to use of much larger grinders,and the use of grinding wheels the full width of the table of a jointer.And at least as wide as between miter gauge slots on saws. they accurately diamond dress the wheel,and feed the machine table under. Grinding wheel technology is better now also.

On the new,cheap 8" Grizzly we bought before I retired,the table was less than .001" out.I have special 2" wide "camel back" precision straight edges really intended for re working of metal lathes,etc.. With .001" shim stock,you could barely get the shim under.

There is some debate as to whether oven seasoning castings,which is all they do today,is as good as leaving castings out in the changing weather for a long time. I have had no trouble with oven seasoned castings.

Mike Heidrick
02-15-2009, 10:45 PM
The HTC base is $229 so it is not that much more for the sawstop base. The sawstop base - if you do not want a shelf - is the base to go with. The hydraulic lift is awesome and when you are not using it the saw rests on the ground. I have the HTC and I installed a shelf and a toolbox so I can't move to the sawstop base without a reconfig.

I bought the table. It would be more expensive to make it and the table is actually pretty nice that you buy from sawstop. Plus you get the saw up and running faster by installing their table.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sawstopnew1.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mastrslide5.jpg

Tony Scolaro
02-15-2009, 11:40 PM
I hope you are right and thanks for the tuturial. I think I will save it in my file of such pearls. What is the debate is it that it will warp over time. I was blown away as I said. I hope it stays put. Any thought or comment about the hardness of the cast old an new. Also while on the subject is the formula. Thanks Tony

Tony Scolaro
02-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Mike beautiful set up. There is no doubt that the SS is a shinny goodie. And yes the side table is sweet looking. I don't know about less than making but up and running fast and looking good. Or is it running good and looking fast. It is the bra on a shinny Trans AM of yesteryear. From the first time I saw it the SS put me in mind of the ole Trans Am look but for a saw. Its not what I am about but I'll take it. Thanks Tony

Tim Malyszko
02-16-2009, 6:35 AM
Okay Mike, I'm done drooling:D. Great setup.

Joe Mioux
02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
I purchased the extension table because I liked the way it looked.

I purchased the mobile base because I like the way it rolls and performs.

On my old saw I had one of the HTC's mobile bases for saws with long extension wings. It always moved around. The SS mobile base is a pure joy and a good value.

Yes, I would buy both again.

joe

Jonathan Spool
02-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Congrats on your SS aquisition Tony. I'll just share my thoughts on the extension and the mobile base.

I purchased both. I hardly used the extension as I had a router extension made up by Quality Grinding. Excllent addition to the saw.

The Sawstop mobile base is the most expensive, and the best mobile base I have ever used. The unit is very rigid, and the casters are smooth rolling and pivoting. Best of all is that the unit is eqipped with a hydraulic lift, which when pumped with a couple strokes of the pedal raises the saw so the extension legs also lift of of the floor. Mine still lifts the extension legs even after I added extra weight of the steel router extension.
rock the pedal the other way and the saw sits and stays like a Lab.
I am very happy with it.
Jonathan

Mike Heidrick
02-16-2009, 1:19 PM
Sure would love to see that Quality Grinding addition Jon! PM sent.

Ken Pywell
02-17-2009, 1:07 AM
I originally bought the saw without the table, thinking I would just make my own. Well, long story short, I ordered it -slapped it on and don't regret not making one.
As form the base, I have the HTC, although I modified it. I relocated the locking wheels to the left outboard side of the base instead of having them front and back, if that makes sense. In other words, instead of having the saw move left and right, I can move it front and back.

Tony Scolaro
02-17-2009, 1:48 AM
Thanks for replies and comments. I got the SS off the pallet and onto the mobile base. Yes, I like the mobile base. I guess I am already forgetting the price. I have the fence rails installed and the cord. Needed to read further before firing up. Maybe tomorrow.

One issue, I have a bit of a dip in the center of the extension table front to back, a strong 1/8". Nothing to do with the adjustment and leveling. Anyone else have this issue?

Tony

Gregg Feldstone
02-17-2009, 2:44 AM
Any problems fitting the master-slide on your sawstop? I just got a sawstop cabinet saw. I almost bought a Master slide for my unisaw a few years ago but didn't want to cut the rails. Did you have to do ANY modifications?

Chris Padilla
02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for replies and comments. I got the SS off the pallet and onto the mobile base. Yes, I like the mobile base. I guess I am already forgetting the price. I have the fence rails installed and the cord. Needed to read further before firing up. Maybe tomorrow.

One issue, I have a bit of a dip in the center of the extension table front to back, a strong 1/8". Nothing to do with the adjustment and leveling. Anyone else have this issue?

Tony

I bet one phone call to SS will remedy this! :)

Mike Heidrick
02-17-2009, 10:34 AM
PM sent Gregg and mailbox cleaned up!