PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Sycamore HF

Ken Glass
02-15-2009, 6:54 PM
Hey Gang,
Here is a Spalted Sycamore Hollow Form I finished yesterday. It is 2-1/2" tall
7" with the Finial, and 6" in diameter and Beall Buffed. The finial is Walnut and then Ebonized and lacquered. This was my second attempt at making a finial. I was going to wait for a P&N 5/16" detail gouge that will be here Monday, but I tried making the finial with a Thompson 3/8" V bowl gouge any way. I had a hard time getting into the corners to get the thinness I wanted. Comments are welcome, as always.

Don Carter
02-15-2009, 7:03 PM
Ken:
It is a beauty! I love the spalted sycamore and your finial looks great. And, you did that with a bowl gouge. Wow!

All the best.

Don

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2009, 7:05 PM
Ken - very nice work! Really nice finial! I like everything about it - except I am not real sure about the top of the finial - yet! Just seems to me that it would flow better if it tapered to a point, but, that is just my opinion.

Seriously, very nice work! Also like your photos! You are getting there!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2009, 7:20 PM
Ken....Beautiful HF! Excellent 2nd finial especially considering it was done with a bowl gouge! Very nicely done Sir!

David Christopher
02-15-2009, 7:25 PM
right tools, wrong tools it dont matter cause you made it just right It is beautiful

charlie knighton
02-15-2009, 7:51 PM
very nice, and your porportions are good

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2009, 8:17 PM
Ken that is a beauty and love the spalted wood. Finial looks good for doing it with a bowl gouge. Well done.

Ken Glass
02-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for comments, and Steve, for all the Photo help and suggestions.

Dewey Torres
02-16-2009, 1:26 AM
Ok...thread steal and newb question:

How can I learn these finials??? I love them and you guys are so good at them. Help:o

Thread steal off.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2009, 1:31 AM
Ok...thread steal and newb question:

How can I learn these finials??? I love them and you guys are so good at them. Help:o

Thread steal off.

Cindy Drozda videos......or....check out her video here under the AAW heading....http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php