PDA

View Full Version : Picture size and pixels

Harvey M. Taylor
02-15-2009, 4:59 PM
I have 5 pictures I want to post with a tutorial on how to turn smooth and straight spindles for chair legs etc. using a router in a jig. Can anyone tell me the size and # of pixels for the photos? This may not be the oly questions I have since I have never posted pics on SC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Max.

Jeff Nicol
02-15-2009, 5:09 PM
Harvey, When you post a new thread it will give you an option to "Manage Attachments" below the text box. Scroll down to that and click the little box and it will open and that is where you post your pictures. It tells you the size for each type of attachment there. You should be able to get going with out much trouble.

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2009, 5:23 PM
Harvey - Jeff is correct but in the interest of saving a little time - jpg photos are limited to 107.7 kb max file size with a pixel limit of 800 x 600. Hope that helps and be sure to check out the information that Jeff pointed out to you.

Jeff Nicol
02-15-2009, 5:30 PM
Harvey - Jeff is correct but in the interest of saving a little time - jpg photos are limited to 107.7 kb max file size with a pixel limit of 800 x 600. Hope that helps and be sure to check out the information that Jeff pointed out to you.
Steve, When I post some of my pictures they are way bigger than the size required, each time the site sizes them to fit I guess as none have ever been kicked out. Is that what is happening? I make them smaller now because it loads much quicker.

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2009, 6:25 PM
Jeff,

You are correct. The newest verson of VBulletin seems to resize the photos automatically.

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2009, 6:43 PM
The new software does resize the photos to make them fit if you choose - however - that could come at a cost to the photo. For me, I much rather size the photo myself and be in control of the final product than count on something that I have no control over to do the job for me. When a program resizes it could cause a change in clarity, color and contrast. Just speaking for myself - I want total control over what I am putting out there to represent my turnings.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2009, 8:19 PM
I agree with Steve. I size my own for control purposes. When the site does it the pic's gets grainy and degraded to me.