PDA

View Full Version : Oneida impellar rotation question ??

Bill Stoffels
02-15-2009, 3:12 PM
I am installing a super gorilla and just bumped the motor for rotation looking from the TOP its rotating counter clockwise??
Is this correct??
The reason I ask is its a backwards impellar and its not easy to tell wich way it should rotate. rotating backawards will prodice flow but 30% less. per the manual.
also the manual does not delineate rotation.

Thanks in advance, did get the BEAST mounted that is a two man job.

Bill

Sonny Edmonds
02-15-2009, 3:15 PM
I'd bet you a dollar to a donut it was right, right from the factory.
Is it a three phase motor?

Bill Stoffels
02-15-2009, 3:19 PM
I found it and its right even though it looks wrong, Sonny your correct just wanted to check..

here is from the Oneida site.

Oneida has designed all of its impellers to maximize air flow and static pressure while generating a reasonably low level of noise. A generally accepted 'State of the Art' impeller design is what is called 'Backwardly Inclined'. This means that the vanes on the impeller are curved and the air is pushed out the discharge opening of the blower housing by using the back surfaces of the curved vanes. Because the vanes on the OAS impeller are curved in a fixed orientation, it means that the fan MUST rotate in the correct direction in order for it to work properly. OAS has designed all of its backwardly inclined impellers such that the motor MUST rotate Counterclockwise as viewed when looking down on top of the unit. Please note that OAS ships all SINGLE PHASE units pre-factory wired and as such, the impeller rotates in the proper direction from the moment that the power cord is plugged into its NEMA 6-20R 220 volt receptacle. The rotation of a 3 phase motor will never be known beforehand and the motor must be 'bumped' by quickly turning the unit On and Off and observing the rotation of the top mounted fan on the Baldor drive motor. This observed rotation of the motor fan is to be compared to the rotation arrow on the blower housing. If the observed rotation does not match the direction depicted by the rotation arrow on the blower housing, 'swap' any two of the three 'hot' legs to reverse and correct the rotation. IMPORTANT: Always mount the blower housing such that the word 'ROTATION' is right side up (there is a distinct top and a bottom on all blower housings that are used on OAS direct drive dust collectors - the blower housing is NOT to be mounted upside down on the cyclone barrel or the system will not perform properly). Please use the picture of the blower housing and cyclone barrel below to properly orientate the housing to the top of the cyclone barrel.

http://www.oneida-air.com/activekb/images/Gorilla-Assembly-209-7-07.jpg

Sonny Edmonds
02-15-2009, 3:36 PM
Just from a glance at the housing I can tell it wants to be rotating CCW.
The fan slaps air toward and out of the housing towards the discharge.
That is what creates the suction at the inlet, centered on the cyclonic chamber.

I trust Oneida to get it right for you right out of the gate. I know it can sometimes be confusing.
Enjoy your new cyclone! And a much cleaner and healthier shop! :)