PDA

View Full Version : I Love my Dremel tool

John Weber
07-07-2004, 10:56 PM
I never wanted one, it's not a real tool, right? Small, little power, little accessories, kind of like what you get your Dad when you don't what else to buy. I never asked for one, but a couple years ago my wife bought me one as a gift for something. I LOVE that little thing. Those abrasive disk, grinding stones, sanding cylinders, wire brushes, etc... I use it for all kinds of stuff. Great for fixing mistakes (I've cut many a stray nail off with the disk), or just when nothing else will work. For the money you can't beat it. I used it twice today on two different projects. Any other fans? Like they say on the Router Workshop, "Get it out of the box."

John

Jim Ketron
07-07-2004, 11:14 PM
I like mine

Jim

Carole Valentine
07-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Don't use mine too often, but it's one of those things that when you need it, you need it. Sometimes nothing else will do the job as well or as easily.

Earl Reid
07-07-2004, 11:48 PM
I have 2 of them, they have been life savers many times.
Earl

Alan Tolchinsky
07-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Yes, I've had one for 13 years or longer and it's saved my bacon many times. Recently on a oak stair project I used it to cut off some bent nails. I use the abraisive drums a lot as well as the grinding wheels. It's a tool of last resort for me when no other thing will work.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2004, 12:04 AM
I've had one for years and though it's only used occasionally, it can be indespensible! A few years ago my neighbor was making a modification to his pickup and tried for quite some time to cut off a bolt. He finally gave up in disgust and asked for my help. The area was quite small and restrictive....I grabbed the dremmel tool with the cutoff wheels and a few seconds later the mission was accomplished. My neighbor had one the next day!

Howard Rosenberg
07-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Yup, I use mine to cut things off.
Bolts, rods, nails, you name it, I've cut it off with my Dremel.
I even used the right-angle attachment to drill holes in a confined area; sure wish I had a right-angle drill, though.
The router plunge router base looks interesting. I've been toying with buying Bishop Cochran's plunge base - it looks more substantial.
Howard

David Klink
07-08-2004, 3:17 AM
I've had one for a few years now and don't use it often, but it's come in real handy when I've needed it. All the little specialized accessories they sell for it are neat as well. I've used the chainsaw sharpener and the mower blade sharpener and they work like a charm.

larry merlau
07-08-2004, 7:39 AM
thought the same as one of the others on here, just a filler gift but i have seen its importance and value and would rather give up my shopapron than the dremel now:) its kinda like acompass in the forest you definalty need it sometimes. and the small router attachment worked well for making recesses for some small hinges that i need on a project. much better than just a chisel.

Dan Mages
07-08-2004, 8:25 AM
I totally agree!!! It is by far one of the most versitile tools out there!!

Byron Trantham
07-08-2004, 8:29 AM
Love mine. SWMBO bought mine for me. I though, "Yea, right!" [Notice I said THOUGHT, not out loud!] :D Turns out that darn thing is very useful. I have acutally bought several of their various wheels, stones, etc.

JayStPeter
07-08-2004, 8:38 AM
I got a big kit and use it occasionally. The grinding/cutoff wheels drive me crazy. I really want to get a real cutoff tool. I broke about 4 of them cutting the heads off a couple of screws the other day. No wonder they come in 50 packs.
The router attachment was real useful for cutting some holes in drywall for my DC. Sort of a mini rotozip. The grinding wheels and mini-drum sanders work well for a variety of small tasks, both woodworking and other.

Jay

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 10:42 AM
...sure wish I had a right-angle drill, though...
You mean like this, Howard? ;)

Mark Singer
07-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Chris,
Your mean today! Wake up on the wrong side or sumptin?

Mark Singer
07-08-2004, 11:03 AM
If you love your own Dremel tool fine! Just don't start loving mine!

Dan Mages
07-08-2004, 12:09 PM

Show off!! :D

David Klink
07-08-2004, 3:26 PM
Sure Chris...Go ahead and gloat. Still and all, it's nowhere near as pretty a color as Tyler's PM66!:)

James Carmichael
07-08-2004, 3:51 PM
I've had mine for a dozen years now, it's earned a nice little tote bag of it's own. If you've done much tile work, you probably have one, I have yet to find a better way to remove grout. Also great with those little abrasive cutoff wheels for going where no other power tool can to cut frozen screws/bolts, pipes, hoses, whatever.

Boy,

Chris has become an HSG (Habitual Stealth Gloater).

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 4:39 PM
Hey, I gloated about my Festool stuff a long time ago! I'm not violating any rules here! ;) Besides, I just make 'em up...don't necessarily abide by 'em.... :D

BTW, I have the Sears version of Dremel (thanks to the LOML) and recently picked up a RotoZip, too. Both have their place and have been major helps on various projects.

Lynn Sonier
07-08-2004, 6:15 PM
Years ago, I was into making radio controlled model airplanes and the Dremel was indispensible. Now that I'm doing regular carpentry work, I still use it a lot. One of the advantages of doing furniture instead of model airplanes, I've never had a piece of furniture crash and completely destroy itself. It is, however, a hell of a lot of fun to zoom the planes around the sky. When I retired in '85, I had more time to crash and less money to fix planes so I quit. If you think power tools are expensive, model airplane accessories are way out in orbit.

aurelio alarcon
07-09-2004, 8:25 AM
I have the Craftsman version of the rotozip. I'll tell you that this tool has really been indespensible! A couple of weeks ago I installed 9 vinyl, windows and this tool did all the trimming on the drywall. In addition to trimming the drywall, the wood framing had to be cut on both sides about a quarter of an inch of each window as well. And yes, this tool did that too without any trouble. A week later I installed marble in a bathroom, and this tool cut out the hole on the cement board as well as cleaned up the hole on the marble. I even used it to cut the trim on the doors so that the tile would fit under it. A day or two later I installed a built in oven and this tool cut part of the hole where my jig saw would not fit. I do a lot of different types of work, and this tool gets me out of all kinds of jambs. My tool came with an attatchment to cut circles, beveling plunge router base, angle grinding attatchment, freehand guide, and a flexible shaft attatchemt. In addition to all these attatchments, the tool has plenty of power. I have not used a dremel tool. But if it can do all of this, it is just as indespensible as my Craftsman all in one cutting tool.

Bart Sharp
07-09-2004, 8:55 AM
I love mine, and use it for all of the kinds of things you guys have mentioned. My favorite use was the night before my wedding. I turned my own wedding band out of stainless steel a couple of months before the big day. As made it fit perfectly on my right hand, but was snug on my left. So the night before the wedding, there I was in the hotel room with my uncle, a rubber hose, a hose clamp, and the trusty Dremel just touching up the ID. Worked like a champ!