PDA

View Full Version : Burled Mulberry Vase

Ken Glass
02-15-2009, 2:52 PM
Hey Gang,
Here is a burled Mulberry Vase I just finish Turned this morning. It is 7" tall on the long side and 5-3/4" tall on the other side, 7" in diameter and about 3/8" thick. It is sanded to 320 grit. It was out of a huge Mulberry Stump about 6 ft. across that was mostly burled. It has no finish as of yet, because I usually just Beall Buff most of my turnings, but this one is too fragile. I would like some suggestions on finish. I was going to just wipe on Poly or Spray Satin Lacquer but what other finishes would you suggest?

Oh, yea. Are the pictures any better?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2009, 3:03 PM
Ken...that's a beauty!

Kirk Miller
02-15-2009, 3:13 PM
I am limited on finish expertise But I really liked the results from 1 coat of Danish oil. It really seems to bring the grain out. I think the pics look great too. I can tell I will need to work on my photography skills as well as turning skills to keep up with this crowd.:)

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2009, 3:25 PM
Good looking vase Ken! A couple of coats of danish oil would probably be enough of a finish - unless you wanted more of a gloss. If you did, then I would go with a spray if the piece is fragile.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2009, 4:07 PM
Great looking vase Ken. I am a fan of Minwax Antique Oil. Gives a great finish and buffs nice after it has cured a week or so.

Jim Kountz
02-15-2009, 4:23 PM
Excellent form and a very interesting piece of wood too, fine job!!

Paul Douglass
02-15-2009, 4:35 PM
Very nice piece. The more I see mulberry, the bigger fan I become.