PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid OSS/Belt sander

David Song
02-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Folks!

I went out and bought a Ridgid OSS/Spindle that everyone is prasing about. I used the belt sander for the first time sanding 1.5" x 2" x 24" plywood and the motor boggled. I did apply little pressure to get the wood sanded but I didn't feel the pressure was anything major...just slight leaning to get the wood sanded I guess. The motor boggled 3 times in 30 minutes of sanding.

So having said, anyone experience similar issue?

Bill Huber
02-15-2009, 11:45 AM
The only time that I was able to get mine to bog down was when it was on a circuit that was not large enough for its needs.

I just went out and tried it and with a scrap walnut board about 3 inches wide sanding it on the flat I could not bog it down with 120 belt on the sander.

I was pushing hard enough that I raised the front of the sander off the bench.

Herbert Wallace
02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Mine has performed flawlessly for several years without ever bogging that I am aware of . I use mine on every project. Can't see me doing without it. I agree with Bill, sounds like your circuit is overloaded. A bad machine is also a possibility, but this problem is not typical of a machine in good order.

Dewey Torres
02-15-2009, 1:11 PM
David,
DO you have this sander plugged into a surge outlet and running the shop vac off that same circuit? If so, try plugging it directly to the wall outlet/ no extension cords and running the shop vac off of another and see.

If it improves you will know that eventually you will burn the motor out running it underpowered.

Ellen Benkin
02-15-2009, 2:19 PM
Mine works great and it's reconditioned. If changing the outlet doesn't work take it back and try another one.