PDA

View Full Version : Project: Cherry Jewelry cabinet

James Sweeney
02-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Got this finished right before valentines day for my wife. finish is one coat of spray blond shellac, then spray minwax polycrylic. the necklace hangers were made by buying some premade spindles (I don't own a lathe yet), then cutting them to length, drilling holes for the pegs and gluing the pegs in. My first attempt at dovetails with my akeda dovetail jig. I was happy how they turned out. Wood is cherry, some curly, some not. cherry plywood for the back of the cabinet and back of the door. Purple heart for the splines in the door.

Jim Hill
02-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Looks nice!

JIm

Greg Cole
02-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi James,
Looks very nice. I am sure the recipient was duly impressed.
I like about anything made from cherry.
The one comment I have (from my wife) in regards to the necklace carousels, is that they are a PITA. The necklaces wind up getting tangled as heck if you hang more than 3-4 on each carousel. I made something very similar for her a couople years ago now, and the carousels have been removed in favor of simple hooks attached to the back.

Dewey Torres
02-15-2009, 1:21 PM
Sweet mother...that looks great. Love the finish!

Jacob Mac
02-15-2009, 7:43 PM
That looks great.

Ted Shrader
02-15-2009, 9:29 PM
James -

Very nice wood selection. The dovetails look great.

Well done!

Ted

Jim Becker
02-15-2009, 9:43 PM
Wonderful work, James!

Phil Thien
02-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Prettier than whatever will go into it.

But, that thing is gonna cost a fortune to populate. Good look there.

James Sweeney
02-16-2009, 4:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Yeah will not be fun filling this thing. But that's why I didn't make it too big :) Thanks to all on this forum for the inspiration and help. People here are so willing to jump in and help with advise, it just amazes me.

Tim Anderson
02-16-2009, 4:59 PM
I was taught right after I got married that a man's best friend should be a jeweler. Very nice dovetails.

Tim