PDA

View Full Version : Bench Grinder end nuts slipping

Adam Leone
02-15-2009, 9:59 AM
I recently picked up a DeWalt 6" bench grinder and I can't get confident that everything is working as it should be. The two wheels appear to mount on a single central axis, which has opposite threads on each end. As soon as I tighten the hex nuts on one end (while holding the opposite), the opposite nut loosens. It is to the point where the nuts "slip" using just finger pressure.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I am probably going to call deWalt tomorrow but I figured I would try to get it fixed today.

Loren Hedahl
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
It is most important that a grinding wheel not loosen during operation, hence the threads that are cut in opposite directions.

Were they cut in the same direction, the nuts could be excessively torqued, to the point where crushing or cracking of the grinding wheel might occur. That could be a disaster waiting to happen.

So, what you do is grab ahold of the wheel with one hand and tighten the nut with the other. I've been known to use a rag to hold onto the wheel.

Good luck, and happy grinding.

Bill Houghton
02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
...what you do is grab ahold of the wheel with one hand and tighten the nut with the other. I've been known to use a rag to hold onto the wheel.

If you've got one of those plastic-headed "trigger" bar clamps (Irwin bought the design from the original maker, now everyone seems to make them), you can clamp it on the wheel just tightly enough to hold it while tightening the nut. The plastic facing on those clamps grips the wheel very effectively.

Rod Sheridan
02-15-2009, 6:52 PM
Hand tight is all that's required.

As one post indicates use a rag or glove to hold the wheel, tighten by hand, very lightly.

The nut will tighten by itself, that's why there are right and left hand threads on the grinder spindle.

Regards, Rod.