PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone painted finally

Sparky Paessler
07-07-2004, 7:52 PM
Well the rains have finally stopped for a day so I got out and painted my cyclone. Like the color? :D should be easy to find in my cluttered shop!

Chris Padilla
07-07-2004, 8:15 PM
Yowzer!!! :eek:

Hey, it looks like your circle-to-rectangle transition tube went smoother than mine! :mad:

I heard that galvanized metal requires a "special" primer...did you do anything special to paint it? I may paint mine white...in fact, my whole shop will probably be white.

Looks good...uh, have a few more coats to put on, right? :o ;)

It appears to be floating in mid-air...amazing trick!! :D

Sparky Paessler
07-07-2004, 8:32 PM
hi Chris

Yes that is the first coat of color. It will need a couple more to even out the color. I did use a primer for galvanized metal. It's going to be tucked off in a corner of the shop so it didn't really matter what color it was. I had always liked the way the Penn state units looked so I thought why not red! so you like how I made it float so I could paint it. It's all done with mirrors and magnets. No if you look closely you can see the rope going from each side up to a tree limb. Hopefully the rain will hold off for a few day's and I can finish painting it.

John Miliunas
07-07-2004, 9:14 PM
Lookin' good, Sparky! Looks like you're not just a woodworker, but a talented tin-bender, as well! :) All it needs now, is to paint a white "motion 'W' " on it and you're all set! :eek: Ooooops....Sorry. Wrong state! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Jim Becker
07-07-2004, 9:20 PM
A very "sparky" color there, Mr. Paessler!! No doubt, it will not disappear in your shop! Seriously, I like it when projects like this get painted, no matter what the color. It really makes for a professional, finished look. Nice job!

Jim Ketron
07-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Hello Sparky Nice job!!
Just noticed where you are from I live about 15-20 miles from you
Nice to see a creeker that lives so close to me!
Jim

Daniel Yourdon
07-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Pardon If my ignorance is showing. But I am guessing this was made from the plans on Bill's Cyclone web pages ????
I have been poking around there and am planning on making one for my shop.
I could use any tips, pointers, outright advice, and what have you on nearly every part of it. from buying the kit or cutting it out myself clear up to the motor and fan.
this one looks right sharp. and that rope is very well concealed, you will make fine magician one day, ya just gotta remember the first rule. Never ever give away your secrets. Rope??? who'd a thought of that?

Chris Padilla
07-11-2004, 9:10 PM
Daniel,

Start here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9933

Feel free to post any further questions to the thread if you like. I have many more photos.

Rob Littleton
07-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Nice job Sparky............

Does it have a volume switch :-)

Sparky Paessler
07-12-2004, 8:58 AM
Well I did get the final coats on it this weekend. It did darken up the color a little. In person it doesn't seem quite as bright as that picture. Now I just need to cut a hole into my floor and dig it out for the barrel to sit in since I am about 18" short on headroom for the unit & 35 gallon Barrel. Then it's on to ductwork!

Daniel, It is Bill's design. I bought the kit from Mark Bachler who got it from Clarke Echols who is working with Bill selling precut kits. It was fairly easy to assemble. Check out Bill's and Clarke's websites that Chris listed above. If you end up with one there several of us who have built one that can help you. (Chris has lots of great pictures of the assembly process.)

Chris Padilla
07-12-2004, 5:28 PM
Sparky,

Clarke is working on a bracket/pulley/bearing "kit" that allows the motor to be side mounted to the blower housing. So it won't be a direct drive but it could save you a foot or so, I think. You may wish to ping Clarke about it.