PDA

View Full Version : Valentines 2009

Kirk Miller
02-15-2009, 1:21 AM
This is the first time posting my creations out here. It is a Vase I made for my GF for Valentines day. It is Red Elm with a coat of natural Danish oil, topped off with 5 or 6 light coats of spray Deft Semi gloss I wasn't overjoyed with the shape but that is how it came out. She loves it and thats all that matters. Let me know what you think.

p.s. Much Thanks for the suggestions on the finish
Kirk

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2009, 1:47 AM
Kirk,

Nice vase....I like the form, finish and wood! Keep 'em coming!

alex carey
02-15-2009, 4:25 AM
I am sure she did love it because its a beautiful piece. Definitely keep up the pictures. I think without the flowers it seems a bit bland, but with the flowers it looks really great. Well done.

Jeff Nicol
02-15-2009, 6:31 AM
Kirk, The vase is great! Sometimes we are to critical of ourselves and that keeps us going forward to do more and better things. The ones that recieve the turned piece are always happy that we took the time to make it ourself! Great job and every day on the lathe is a joy within itself!!

Have a great day,

Jeff

ROY DICK
02-15-2009, 9:14 AM
Kirk,

Very nice indeed.

Roy

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Kirk - glad you were able to find a finish that worked within the limited time you had to complete this! Nice looking vase! Congrats on a job well done!

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Kirk I can see why she loved it. Nicely done. The finish and form are great. Forms will get better with experience so don't be to hard on yourself.

Jim Kountz
02-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Looking good, nice little gift Im sure she did love it!!

Kirk Miller
02-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Thank you for all the compliments. I always have been my own worst critic, and probably always will be. The work that I see everyone doing out here inspires me to keep at it. I really enjoy working on the lathe. It is almost theraputic for me. I even enjoy the challenge of sharpening my tools. Once again Thank you for all the compliments

Kirk