PDA

View Full Version : Re-sell percentage for power tools?

Mac McQuinn
02-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm going to be selling off a large selection of name brand stationary & hand held power tools in the near future. All tools were purchased new over the last 8-12 years and are in excellent, well maintained condition. Considering what they cost new, what percentage below purchase price should I ask when posting up for sale? I'm not hoping to make a fortune, just get a decent price and reasonably quick sale.

Some of the tools;

Contractor table saw
6" Joiner
Spindle sander
Hand planer
Stationary planer
Dust collector
Air cleaner
Shop vac
Router, Plunge and Fixed
Biscuit joiner
Sabre saw
Brad nailer
etc.

thanks,
Mac

Jim Becker
02-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Starting point is typically 50% of new, scaled up a little or back a little, depending on condition. Brand and model can also affect resale...like anything some brands hold value better and some models are more in demand than others.

When you are ready to sell, become an SMC contributor so you can advertise in the SMC Free Classifieds. SMC is a very large community and folks generally have good luck moving good used gear.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Steve Rozmiarek
02-14-2009, 10:28 PM
I think half of new is the "standard", less if you want quick, more for great condition that you can take time to sell. You upgrading?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Jim, you type faster than me I guess.

Jim Hill
02-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Mac,

I also think location has an impact on the selling price of items, especially larger items which need to be picked up. Here in central Illinois, prices for pick up items are probably lower than they would be in a metropolitan area. In the past, when I sold my contractor saw, planer, and a moulder the buyers all traveled several hundred miles. I suspect that gas and travel time impacted the decision on how much would be paid. Good luck.

Jim

ROY DICK
02-15-2009, 9:37 AM
+ 1 on what Jim Becker said.

Roy

Joe Jensen
02-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Some specialty tools do a lot better. Lie Nielsen planes and Bridge City tools do 80% of new or better for example. Also Festool is more like 90%...joe

Mac McQuinn
02-15-2009, 5:02 PM
Many thanks to everyone for your advice & input.

Mac

Mac McQuinn
02-15-2009, 5:03 PM
I think half of new is the "standard", less if you want quick, more for great condition that you can take time to sell. You upgrading?

Steve, I'm not upgrading. After several months of serious thought, I've decided to discontinue woodworking/boatbuilding.

Mac

AL Ursich
02-15-2009, 7:37 PM
+2 on what Jim said and I drove 100 miles to buy a tool from HIM.... A great deal on a Thickness Sander.

AL:rolleyes:

Steve Rozmiarek
02-15-2009, 7:50 PM
Steve, I'm not upgrading. After several months of serious thought, I've decided to discontinue woodworking/boatbuilding.

Mac

Best of luck on your new pursuits!

Brian Peters
02-15-2009, 8:06 PM
It varies vastly among brands and types. Good tools hold values longer as do ones with custom modifications/upgrades. A good thing to do is go search for it on eBay and look at the completed auctions to guage an idea of what people are paying for it. That's usually a realistic idea of what you can get. I usually start there.

Tony Scolaro
02-15-2009, 8:54 PM
As a rule of thumb. If I can't hear them run or they are bought from a picture at a distance. I go down from your standard half price with the up or down for good shape bad shape. Tony