PDA

View Full Version : Sctw

Jack Dickey
02-14-2009, 9:15 PM
Now that they have been on the market for a few years , what are your thoughts on your SCTW tools ??

Which do you have ?? Likes ?? Dislikes ?? Would you buy again ??

Dave Lehnert
02-14-2009, 9:37 PM
OK! I have to ask. What is SCTW?

Jack Dickey
02-14-2009, 9:41 PM
Steel City Tool Works

Paul Ryan
02-14-2009, 9:46 PM
I have a granite top table saw built by them. I have had it for a year and am very happy with it. It is the 1st cabinet saw I have owned, but not used. The fence is really nice and the saw came set up perfectly from the factory. I love the granite. Since I live in MN and work in an unheated steel shop I have plenty of problems with condensation. Through out this winter we have had a couple of days where the air has been real warm and the ground really cold. My cast iron tools have showed some surface rust on the tables after these day. The rust was easily cleaned but even though they were protected with coatings they still developed a small amount of rust. The granite is one tool I don't have to worry about. I used it for sharpending tools on it since I know it is perfectly flat and not effected by water. It is just a great tool and a great idea. The warranty on the saw is 2nd to none also.
My wife and I recently had the saw stop talk and she is pushing harder and harder for me to step up to a saw stop. Some things have to happen this spring for me to decided to purchase one. I have been actively looking for a used machine but haven't had any luck yet. One of the things I would miss on my SC saw is the granite top. I wish I could put it on a saw stop. Or better yet have the saw blade stopping technology in a SC machine with the more economical pricing. All in all I have been very happy with the saw. My only gripe is the tape measure strip for the fence seems to swell and contract with weather temp, it has to be calibrated a couple of times per year. I hope to own one of there 8" jointers some day. I think they make tools that are a direct competion with the grizzly and someone should not consided a grizzly with out looking at SC. I give SCTW a thumbs UP!

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
02-14-2009, 9:53 PM
I have just ordered the 1.5 hp DC machine from them from WoodCraft, $100 of regular price. Spent a while talking to them and to folks in the store and nobody had any thing negative to say. They had the Jet and Delta side by side with the SC and they all looked about the same except the SC comes with a 5yr warranty and a better price.

I also would like to know if any one has any negative comments about SC and especially the dust collector.

Richard.

tim mathis
02-15-2009, 8:14 AM
17"drillpress & 18"bandsaw owned over 2 years, 8" industrial jointer owned 1 year. if there is a problem they send replacement parts fast. the tools are well built and heavy and a 5 year warranty ( no vibration in the bandsaw or jointer)( i can't say enough good things about the drillpress it is a great buy). yes i would purchase again.
tim in ohio.

Jim Summers
02-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I have just ordered the 1.5 hp DC machine from them from WoodCraft, $100 of regular price. Spent a while talking to them and to folks in the store and nobody had any thing negative to say. They had the Jet and Delta side by side with the SC and they all looked about the same except the SC comes with a 5yr warranty and a better price.

I also would like to know if any one has any negative comments about SC and especially the dust collector.

Richard.

I have the 1.5hp DC. It works great. The collection bag is easy to change. Rolls around easily. This is my first DC so I don't have anything to compare against. Used to use a shopvac / duct tape system!

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-15-2009, 10:44 AM
I just bought the SC bench mortiser. I liked the fit/finish better than the Delta (although the 2 are VERY similar - right down to the look/feel of the manual. It seems obvious to me that the SC guys are former Delta guys). The chisels were in decent shape out of the box, but still had to be touched up. Reviews here and elsewhere biased me towards the SC - and the 5 year warranty clinched it.

Ted Shrader
02-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Jack -

I have the 8" jointer with the granite fence (40620G). Good value for the money. Machined surfaces are dead flat - I checked. ;)

I am close to getting a drill press. Waiting to look at the SC variable speed model due out any time now.

Regards,
Ted

Craig Johnson
02-15-2009, 12:29 PM
I have the cast top 1.75 horse table saw.
Arrived in great shape. No shipping damage.
Works great. Customer service is great too.
Overall well built.
Will probably order from them again.
And the warranty.

Lori Kleinberg
02-15-2009, 4:45 PM
I have the drill press. Been very happy. No problems for this hobby shop.