PDA

View Full Version : Remote Switch for Nova 1624

John Trax
02-14-2009, 8:42 PM
I like my Nova 1624 but the location of the on/off switch has bothered me from day one. You have to reach across to turn on or turn off. And if off needs to be in a hurry that means you are reaching the WRONG way.

I just built this remote switch and so far it is working great. Got the switch from Grizzly and just by passed the original switch, so I can put everything back if I need to. Ideally you could use both switches but I could not figure out how to wire it that way with the existing switch so I went with this to be safe. Maybe I'll figure a better way later on.

The Grizzly switch is mechanical not magnetic so it's not fail-safe if the power goes off. I thought it was magnetic when I bought it but should have read the fine print. On the other hand the magnetic switches did not have that nice "STOP" button.

I epoxied some rare earth magnets on the back to make stick wherever I want.

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2009, 9:38 PM
Looks like a great idea. Been playing with the idea of putting one on my DVR.

Don Carter
02-14-2009, 9:57 PM
John:
I am very interested in your remote switch. I like the grizzly switch. How did you wire the switch? I have been playing with the idea of simply plugging the lathe into a proper sized extension cord with something like your switch in the middle of the extension cord. Am I making sense?
In other words simply cut the extension cord and wire each cut into the switch and plug the lathe into one end and plug the other into a wall outlet.
Thanks for posting this.

All the best.

Don

Paul Douglass
02-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Will, crap. I'm always fat dumb and happy until I read this forum! I never thought there was a thing wrong with where the switch was. Now I have to think about it! Hummm, were did you say you got that switch??

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2009, 10:06 PM
John - I have a Jet 1642 and made a remote switch for it over a year ago. It is one of those safety features that I feel should come standard with every lathe! I wired mine in series with the original power switch. That way it requires both switches to be in the on position for the lathe to turn on - but either switch can shut the lathe off. To me - that is the safest way to wire it.

John Trax
02-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Bernie I think the DVR would be a lot more complicated because of the electronics.

Don, what I wanted was for both switches to work but I have not figured that out yet. For this one (UN-PLUG FROM WALL FIRST!):
1) Disconnect the cord from the Nova switch line side and pull it out of the box.
2) Hook that cord up to the Grizzly switch on the line side.
3) Add a piece of extension cord from the Grizzly switch's load side back to the Nova wiring box.
4) Hook the new piece of wire up to the load side wires on the Nova switch. I pulled them off the Nova switch and used quick connects to hook up so I can return to original if I want to.
5) Make sure your ground wires are connected all the way through.

The Grizzly switch was $12.95, I had everything else in the parts box except I had to buy an extra deep box to hold the Grizzly switch, it needs at least 2" of depth. So I've got maybe $20 in this.

Best thing is I can turn off the lathe with my hip if I cannot get a hand free.

John Trax
02-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Paul, got it at Grizzly www.grizzly.com (http://www.grizzly.com) I think. Search for switch. They have a good selection.

Steve, ideally you should be able to turn on or off from either switch. However, the Nova switch is magnetic and requires that it's on button be pushed to "latch" in the switch. Off button breaks the circuit and the "latch" drops out. I think you would have to wire the "on" switches in parallel and the off switches in series to make it work right but I'm not sure I can do that with the original Nova switch. What you need is for either on switch to start the lathe either off switch to break the entire circuit. I need to do some more research.

One problem with my set-up is that by using a mechanical switch if the power goes out for a minute the lathe will come back on when the power does. A magnetic switch would not come back on and is thus preferred for safety reasons.

Ralph Lindberg
02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
John is correct, a simple switch will not work for the DVR/DVR-XP. I have seen a design over on the old Nova user-group (MSN) that does.

At one point Teknatool was talking about marketing a remote, but looks like they dropped those plans