PDA

View Full Version : delta tenoning jig and ridgid ts3650 table saw...

brett gallmeyer
02-14-2009, 8:26 PM
so after reading the lowes clearance thread in deals and discounts i decided that i would head down to my local borg and pick up one of the delta tenoning jigs on clearance.

got it home.

put it together.

went to calibrate it.... ahhh....

so there are two bolt locations depending if you have a right or left tilt saw. mines a left tilt. neither of these locations let the jig line up corectly. either it wont zero out against the blade or its about 1/2" away from the blade when zeroed out. lol. so i'm thinking my only option is to drill a set of holes in the bottom plate 1/2 way between the other to. and yes i know that i would have to be spot on or i would loose all accuracy in the jig. any other sugestions. does this happen with other saws?

Mort Stevens
02-14-2009, 10:10 PM
I *think* that there are two versions of the Delta tenoning jig - one that fits Delta's saws (both left & right tilt) and the other one is "universal" to fit other manufacturer's table saws. Sounds like you got the Delta specific jig.

Joe Von Kaenel
02-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Brett,

I bought a Grizzly Tenoning jig for my TS3650 and had the same problem. I took every thing off but he bottom plate. I measured half way in between the existing holes center punched and drilled new holes. Jig works fine now. Hope this helps

Joe

Mike Cutler
02-15-2009, 8:31 AM
Brett

I have a 3/4" piece of MDF screwed into the vertical face of the jig. This allows the jig to register zero to the blade. I have also seen other 'Creekers do the same thing and glue a piece of 220 grit sandpaper to the MDF face to grab the material.
In all honesty though, and from personal experience, not having the jig be able to touch the blade isn't a bad thing.;)

Yep, I did it, I wasn't paying complete attention while fine tuning some tenons and adjusted the jig into the blade.:o You should have heard the noise when that jig touched that blade. Wow!

Neal Clayton
02-15-2009, 2:31 PM
i've used both the delta and the grizzly jigs, i own the delta, and imo, the measurement scale on either is not very useful at best.

any tenon should be accurate within thousandths, not 16ths or 32nds, so i wouldn't worry too much about zeroing the scale. you'll still need to make test cuts and check with a micrometer to make sure you're where you want to be. so considering that, don't worry about it. make sure it's square and snug in the miter slot and that's about it.

glenn bradley
02-15-2009, 3:15 PM
Mine sets like this, HTH.

Greg Sznajdruk
02-15-2009, 4:45 PM
Your problem is because the Delta miter slot to the blade is 4 1/4 inch then on the Ridgid saw it is 5 inches. Measure drill and tap is one way to fix the problem. Ridgid doesn't have a tenoning jig and no intension of making one.

Greg

Greg Sznajdruk
02-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Or if you want to build a jig take a look at this site. He also does some add ons for the Delta jig.

http://woodgears.ca/tenon/review.html

Greg