PDA

View Full Version : Need Help spending money, Lee Valley style

Chuck Tringo
02-14-2009, 7:30 PM
So, I got a $150 gift card for Lee Valley for my Birthday and thought that I knew exactly what to use it one, but one I got to the site, theres just so much more that I want :D I obviously cant get it all, so I need a little help spending my loot...my original plan was to put it towards a Bevel Up Jointer, but I also lack some spokeshaves and wanted to get some, I feel that teh set is a good deal (all 3 Veritas Spokeshaves with a LV tool roll) for $259, but I mostly hear folks raving about the Lie Nielsen Spokeshaves and not alot about the Veritas ones. Also, although I have sold my lunchbox planer, I do plan to get a better one once I return from the sandbox and will still use one to rough dimension lumber, so not sure if I need the jointer that bad, and thinking I might get by with my LA Jack. I aslo like the Veritas cabinet makers mallet and would like a toothed blade for my LA Jack....oh and theres some other stuff as well, trying to stay below $200-250 out of pocket.....PLEASE HELP !!

Gary Herrmann
02-14-2009, 7:47 PM
Chuck, what do you plan on making with your tools, that will help folks answer. Also, if there is a woodworking show coming to your area, you can get 10% off LV plus free shipping.

I have the bevel up trio as well as the low angle spokeshave from LV and think very highly of all of them. I've looked at the set of 3 spokeshaves, but haven't had the need for them to this point.

Lie Nielsen makes beautiful high quality tools. I don't own any of their tools at this point. However, I've never felt I was getting a lower quality or less effective tool by purchasing from LV.

Jim Koepke
02-14-2009, 9:08 PM
Chuck,
I agree with Gary. I think the difference is like the difference between a Lincoln Continental, and a Cadillac.

Not knowing where you are starting from, it is difficult to give directions to where you want to go. Especially since we do not know where you want to go.

One hint, if this gift is from a person who might repeat next year, pick some opportune times to thank them and tell them this was the best thing you have received in all your life and you can not even imagine anything better. Be sure to show them what you purchased. Gently rub the tool(s) lovingly. Who knows, it might bring gift card next year.

Not knowing what kind of wood you work and what kind of projects you have planned, I am not sure if suggesting a toothing blade for your BU Jack would be a good way to go or if the jointer is a better suggestion.

Of course, if you are planning cabriole legs, the spoke shaves would be better than a jointer.

My projects often have joined boards longer than a few feet. A jointer is needed.

I have a few spoke shaves, but they do not get a lot of use. My draw knife gets used more for debarking logs than anything else.

If everyone worked with the same materials, building the same things, questions like these would be easier to answer, but there would likely still be different opinions.

jim

george wilson
02-14-2009, 9:26 PM
I like the design of the new stainless Veritas block plane. It is $300.00.

Chuck Tringo
02-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Right now Ive been focusing mostly on smaller projects....counter top wine rack, boxes, tongue drum. Ive been doing this due to being in the military and having a weight limit on my frequent forced moves. i am in the middle of a Workbench, but don't think Ill finish before I go to the sandbox. Cabriole legs...no, but I am trying to incorporate more curves into my designs which is why the spokeshaves are attractive....might stick with just one for now though...the low angle maybe. I was thinking the toothed blade as Ive been trying to fit in some more difficult woods lately...bubinga, purple heart, etc.

Bill Houghton
02-14-2009, 10:51 PM
have had some good reviews, too. They're a different concept than the LN shaves - on the one hand, the adjusters (like the Stanley/Record 151) give you more precision than the "set by holding your mouth right" LN's.

On the other hand, those adjusters can get in the way in tight inside corners; I gave away my Record 151 for that reason, and use a Stanley 52 (straight-handled version of the 51) because I can get in tighter spots - similar in that way to the LN.

I don't envy you the decision, but you're not alone; I had some extra money due to some consulting work over this last year and a half, and a lot of it went to Canada, because LV's elves make great tools - and there are still a lot of things they make that I'd like.

I agree with the comment someone else made: analyze the work you're most interested in doing next, and try to figure out where the weak spots are in your current tool kit.

I will comment, if you already have Stanley-type shaves, that their spokeshave irons are terrific - substantially better than stock irons, and they fit in the Stanley and Record shaves. I did have to file the mouth a bit more open on mine, but it has made for a much finer mouth than the usual Stanley/Record shave.

Dave Spaeder
02-14-2009, 11:58 PM
I've had better luck with the LV low angle spokeshave than with their Stanley-style variety. Both styles are very well done and fun to use, but the low angle one is the one I pick up most often. It's a very versatile tool with a reversible fence.

By the way, I sympathize with your suffering. A Lee Valley gift card is a thoughtful and welcome gift that inevitably brings the receiver much anguish. You think at first it's a genie ready to grant your wish, and then it turns out it's the Pied Piper leading your cash out of town.

Enjoy!

george wilson
02-15-2009, 4:20 PM
The LV low angle spokeshaves work very nicely. A friend of mine has one I tried.