PDA

View Full Version : Getting serious chipout while edge jointing on RT.

jeff begin
02-14-2009, 4:20 PM
I'm trying to edge joint a piece of 1 3/4" hard maple on my router table with a 2" straight bit and am getting a lot of chipping. I even managed to shoot a 1/8" chip the size of a half dollar across my shop. I've tried reducing the stock I'm taking off with each pass down to about 1/32". I've also tried adjusting the feed rate (faster and slower) and the router speed (also faster and slower). Nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The bit is carbide tipped, doesn't appear damaged, and has had less than 40 linear feet of stock passed through it. So I'm hoping that isn't the problem.

Stephen Edwards
02-14-2009, 4:28 PM
Try flipping the board and run it through. Perhaps the grain is working against you.

jeff begin
02-14-2009, 4:58 PM
Newbie mistake... Thanks Stephen! You've saved me from banging my head against the wall.

Stephen Edwards
02-14-2009, 5:04 PM
You're very welcome. I'm glad that solved your problem.

Art Kelly
02-14-2009, 5:07 PM
When that doesn't work (some wood is intractible), try this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1030946#poststop

Art

Lee Schierer
02-14-2009, 5:12 PM
Newbie mistake... Thanks Stephen! You've saved me from banging my head against the wall.

When jointing wood whether on a jointer or a router, it is wise to "read the grain" to see how the ends of the grain exit the wood. When feeding the boards across the cutter you want the end of the grain leaning back where the board came from not toward the direction of travel. Some boards have grain going both directions at the edge and on those, you sometimes have to make a pass to see how it feeds. If you hear tearing flip the board end for end and run it through the other way.

By the way you need to do the same thing on the planer to avoid chip out.

Ron Bontz
02-14-2009, 6:25 PM
If using my router table I only use solid carbide spiral bits. A bit pricey though.:)

jeff begin
02-15-2009, 12:34 AM
If using my router table I only use solid carbide spiral bits. A bit pricey though.:)

I've considered them. I imagine that I'd get a much better finish. Do you use the up-cut or down-cut ones? (Or the really pricey compression ones)

Eric Sayre
02-15-2009, 1:18 AM
Jeff,

The spiral bits leave an exceptionally smooth finish. I don't have any experience with the compression bits, but I use upcut bits in my router table and get very good results. These pull the waste downward into the table (toward the router motor.)

If you spend the money, you won't be sorry.

-Eric