PDA

View Full Version : I gotta get a life--Bandsaw Resawing

Curt Harms
02-14-2009, 3:06 PM
I've been following another thread about how much wood does resawing waste and it tweaked my curiosity. I took a piece of 2 X 4 and jointed one face and one edge then planed the other face. I ripped a piece off a bit less than 1 1/2" so I had one bandsawn face and 3 planed/jointed edges. Then I marked 3 places, one near each end and one near the middle. I measured with a digital caliper across the face so that I was measuring the bandsawn face and the smooth one opposite. I then planed the bandsawn face until it was smooth. Bear in mind there was only one rough face. I then measured the same 3 areas and I may have planed more than necessary. The amounts of stock removed were .022, .034 and .029 inches. The blade kerf is .035. These are all in decimal inches obviously. Doubling the amount of stock removed and adding .035 for the blade kerf comes up with .079, .071 and .093 if the same amount were removed from each side of a strip. That averages .081" blade kerf and material removed by planing to smooth. 1/8"=.12" 3/32"=.09, 1/16"=.06". Think I can get a job writing magazine articles?.

I know there is scientific and engineering talent on this board who can point out flaws in sample size, methodology etc. Point away!!:D

Curt

Jeff Craven
02-14-2009, 3:53 PM
Wait, how much wood did you waste?

and 3/16=.1875

Curt Harms
02-14-2009, 4:31 PM
Wait, how much wood did you waste?
nd 3/16=.1875

Not much;)

Oops--

Stephen Edwards
02-14-2009, 4:31 PM
Think I can get a job writing magazine articles?. Curt

If you'll continue doing tests, writing reports and learning as you go, you have may very well get a job writing magazine articles. Keep it up!

Will Blick
02-15-2009, 12:04 PM
What were trying to determine?

I assume your conclusion is - the waste of a BS is almost equal to the waste of a TS kerf, after you level the uneven BS cut side?

If so, this what the other thread concluded, as well as this months FWW who did an article on this...

Curt Harms
02-15-2009, 6:18 PM
What were trying to determine?

I assume your conclusion is - the waste of a BS is almost equal to the waste of a TS kerf, after you level the uneven BS cut side?

If so, this what the other thread concluded, as well as this months FWW who did an article on this...

Mostly jus' tinkerin':). I was sort of curious about how deep the "scratches" were from a bandsaw blade. Answer about .002".

Anthony Whitesell
02-15-2009, 9:17 PM
Depending on the bandsaw blade and setup, yes they are nearly equal. I have done a less scientific experiment along with some math and found the bandsaw to be slightly more efficient than the tablesaw. My bandsaw setup still needs help as I get more wondering than I care for which causes substainal waste and increases the "effective" kerf a lot. I was using a 0.025 kerf blade and a drum sander instead of planer to further minimize loss. If I remember this thread when I have some idle time and I have the bandsaw wandering less, I'd like to do a similiar experiment.

On the other hand, my table saw only has a 1 1/2" depth of cut (3" if I flip and cut again), so even if the waste is equal, 14" bandsaw resaw outdoes the 3" table saw resaw in a heart beat.