PDA

View Full Version : vanity and maple trim

Delano Mireles
07-07-2004, 2:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm working on replacing a vanity top and plan on trimming the laminate top with maple and routing a chamfer on it. I have a couple of questions though and I'm hoping y'all can help out.

What's the best finish to put on the maple since it'll be on a vanity and should I finish it before attaching it to the substrate (3/4 play)?

I'll be using biscuits and poly glue to attach the maple to the ply - then i plan on laying the laminate on the top all the way to the end of the trim. Once the laminate is on I'll rout a chamfer to reveal the trim. Am I missing anything? I appreciate any tips provided.

TIA,

Delano

Todd Burch
07-07-2004, 4:40 PM
Hi Delano.

Bartley's Gel Varnish provides 48 hours standing water protection when properly finished. Since your routing will expose fresh wood, I would finish after you trim route.

Before trim routing, place blue masking tape on the top edge of the laminate. When you route, the edge of the blue tape will be cut away too, leaving a perfect line of tape for you to use as a mask when finishing the wood.

Todd

Chris Padilla
07-07-2004, 4:50 PM
Isn't blue tape the best thing since sliced bread? Man, I have about 8 rolls of this stuff at any one time in varying widths and find uses for it all the time!

Nathan Hoffman
07-08-2004, 7:39 AM
Thanks for asking this questinos, Delano, because I am about to do something similar. I had planned to add the trim after the laminate was on, then try to get the trim flush with the top before routing, but this seems like a much easier option. I have to stain my trim, but it should be the same process, right, Todd? I am also planning a backsplash of wood, and it sounds like that gel varnish is just the ticket. Thanks!

Delano Mireles
07-08-2004, 9:37 AM
Thanks, guys! I'll have to find a source for Bartley's since my local woodcraft does not have any.

thanks again,

Delano

Delano Mireles
07-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Todd,

another question - provided I can locate Bartley's here in Austin, can I lay a coat of shellac before the varnish to prevent blotching or is that a no no? I'm really clueless when it comes to finishing so I appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much,

Delano

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 1:09 PM
Shellac is one of those wonderful substances that all other substances like just fine. Shellac is often used between two finishes that aren't compatiable.

Delano Mireles
07-08-2004, 1:53 PM
Great! thanks so much for the response, Chris!

Delano

Todd Burch
07-08-2004, 6:09 PM
Delano, you won't have an issue with maple blotching unless you are staining. And even then, it's the grain of the individual piece of wood that has a potential for blotching... just because it's "maple" (or any other wood), the propensity for blotching is the due to fluctuations in grain direction. In other words, ANY wood whose grain changes direction will blotch. Birch and pine are two woods whose grain changes direction more than other woods, usually around knots.

Also, I wouldn't waste my time with shellac in this application - it's not buying you anything.

Nathan, yes you can use the same process.

Phil Phelps
07-08-2004, 8:54 PM
Isn't blue tape the best thing since sliced bread? Man, I have about 8 rolls of this stuff at any one time in varying widths and find uses for it all the time!
Don't try and use it for masking and paint over it. That's why they label the stuff "masking" tape. Not all tape is.

Nathan Hoffman
07-09-2004, 7:13 AM
The process that you describe, Delano, sounds simple to do, but does it leave a 'black line' where the edge of the laminate shows? If so, does anyone have an easy process for attaching the trim so that it ends up flush with the top of the laminte with no edge revealed? I've seen flush trim bits before, but I've never tried one, and when we had our counter tops made, they resisted going with my choice of a wood edge because he said it was too difficult to get it flush. Any thoughts? Thanks!!