PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck questions

Dave Bureau
02-14-2009, 12:12 PM
I am building some vacuum chucks and have a few questions.

1. I am cutting a groove about 1/4" deep into MDF and I'm installing PVC into the groove. Will Gorilla glue hold the PVC in? If not what should I use?

2. I am threading maple as an adapter. does the maple and MDF need to be sealed in any way. If so, what should I use?

3. I have some 6/4 Poplar. can I use poplar for the adaptors? ( ran out of thick maple?

4. Do I need to round the edge of the PVC or should I square it off?

Thanks in advance and sorry to be a PITA.

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Dave - when you have questions - ask! No such thing as PITA when you have questions!

Glue - I guess Gorilla glue would work but I found hot melt glue was faster and actually less messy to use.

Seal the wood - especially MDF. I used a few coats of poly and really let it soak into the wood.

Poplar is a very soft wood and I have to wonder how well it would work for an adapter and also how long it would hold up to use. It may work - but I would stick with hardwoods as the threads would be cleaner and last longer.

I rounded over the top portion of the PVC so that it would not mar the wood I was turning.

Dave Bureau
02-14-2009, 12:24 PM
I was thinking of applying the vacuum to the chuck as I was applying the poly to help it sink in and seal.

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2009, 12:25 PM
What happens if it pulls the poly into the morse taper inside the spindle?

Dave Bureau
02-14-2009, 12:27 PM
do you think it would suck in that much? maybe just a few seconds would be ok.

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Dave - you would be amazed at how powerful these vacuums are. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that happened. All you would notice is that the poly seems to be absorbing into the wood really nice...

Might happen - might not. Let me know what you find out!:D

Dave Bureau
02-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Maybe I'll pass on that idea.:mad:

Jim Kountz
02-14-2009, 1:54 PM
Just a thought but when I made mine I didnt have a way to tap it so I just bought the cheap chuck adapters from Woodcraft they sell for their Wood River line. They are only about $7 I think. Drill a hole and epoxy it in. Never have to worry with it stripping out or cracking under torque.

Gordon Seto
02-14-2009, 2:15 PM
Man made material may be more stable. I tried with solid kiln dry wood; I was surprised that it moved quite a bit. I am afraid the wood may move with seasonal changes.