PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw ID

Jim Glock
02-14-2009, 9:45 AM
Can anyone help me with what type(brand) of bandsaw this is? It has a very wide re-saw blade on it and a interesting upper/lower blade guide system. There are no company markings that I could find. Any help is appreciated. jg

Chip Lindley
02-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Sorry, No ID but it sure looks like a KEEPER. A WOW resaw! (If all is working)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Jim.... I don't know the brand but like Chip I think it is a keeper. You might try the OOWM website. Someone over there might recognize it.

David Christopher
02-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Jim, does it have any markings, numbers or anything on it...if the motor is original it might have something on it that will help

Carlos Alden
02-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I worked for a while in a compressed gas and dry ice delivery company. One of the things we did was resaw 50 lb. blocks of dry ice for redistribution. I remember standing in front of a saw that looked a lot like that for hours on end in a freezing cold warehouse. Picture that saw, complete with fine patina of rust, covered with smoking piles of dry ice shavings.

Carlos

Steve Rozmiarek
02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the scale of the thing. Nothing in those photos to reference dimensions too! How wide is that blade? Is there a cast iron frame behind or under the shields, or welded steel? Interesting old beast.

Jim Glock
02-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Hmmmmmmmm....a real stumper! It's sitting on a home built 2x4 stand...110v motor (assuming...can't get to it yet). The blade guides are precision...thumb screw adjustment...tight tolerances. The blade is at least 2 1/2 - 2 3/4. Machine looks VERY heavy. That motor sitting on the table is probablyl 8" tall for reference. May be a keeper? jg

bob hertle
02-14-2009, 12:26 PM
1-Ryobi
2-Hitachi
3-Makita

One of the above three flavors of resaws popular in the '80's. All extinct now except Hitachi cb75f, AFAIK.

Bob

Rick Fisher
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I am no expert but my assumption is that its a japanese saw. If the price is right, it would be a sweet saw to restore.

Most big bandsaws cannot even handle a blade that width. I think my bigger saw will only accept 2".

Pete Bradley
02-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Congratulations! Should give years of service (until you decide to upgrade of course :D).

Sounds like the belt is just old and hasn't run in a while. Get a good quality machine belt (mcmaster sells Gates, top of the line) and be done with it.

Pete

Jim Glock
02-14-2009, 4:57 PM
What do you think (ball park) this machine is worth? What should I start the offer with? Thanks..jg

Frank Drew
02-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I had one of the Hitachi saws back when; it had steel wheels, without tires, and I was never able to satisfactorily fit tires on it (I tried). I sold it since I needed something that could take narrow blades as well.

Mac McQuinn
02-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Kinda looks like an old Rockwell to me.......

Mac

Tony Bilello
02-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I had a Hitachi that took up to a 2" or maybe 3" blade. I cant remeber. What I do remember was the noise. I had a permanent head set for hearing protection hanging from it. The sound was deafening. It was a high pitch shrill and screech sound. It was a great saw. After you shut it off, you could still cut a 4x4 30 seconds later. The cast iron wheels just kept spinning.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Jim, you have plenty of ammo to get a good deal, its a little rough and rusty, needs a new blade, etc. Maybe even, "well, I wanted a saw that could take a small blade too". Maybe offer a couple hundred and see what happens? Certainly going to take a good deal of TLC to get to spec.

Jim Glock
02-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone....I'll let you know what happens. I really don't need another bandsaw or have room for one. If the price is right...jim