PDA

View Full Version : Wow...lottsa Birthdays today!

Chris Padilla
07-07-2004, 12:58 PM
I count 9...I think it is the most I've seen.

Aaron, what day has the most birthdays in SMC membership? I bet you can one-line the code to answer that question! :D

Gary Whitt
07-07-2004, 2:37 PM
Well, alrighty then.....

I'll start the song.....

"Happy birthday to you,

Aaron Koehl
07-07-2004, 3:59 PM
I count 9...I think it is the most I've seen.

Aaron, what day has the most birthdays in SMC membership? I bet you can one-line the code to answer that question! :D
Funny you should mention:

Our of our 2,776 members, only 1116 have specified their birthdays. The day with the most birthdays specified is November 19, with 11 people. The next two are 11/25 and 7/7, tied with 9 members.

For those interested, there is a well known problem in probability (coincidentally called the Birthday Problem), that asks what the probability of having two people with the same birthday is in a group of N people.

Without presenting the proof here (unless you want it), the probability of having two people with the same birthday in a group of 23 people is 50/50. In a group of 50, it is almost certain (~99%) that two people will share a birthday. It is a boggling puzzle, especially since there are 365 days (discounting leap years) in a calendar year.

With 1116 people with specified birthdays, it is nearly a certainty that many will share the same birthday.

Chris Padilla
07-07-2004, 4:31 PM
http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/reese/birthday/intro.html#intro

:D Very cool...I didn't realize it!

Larry Browning
07-07-2004, 6:13 PM
Well, how about the reverse. How many days of the year does no one have a birthday? What are the dates with the fewest birthdays? I'd bet that there are many with just one.
Do we have too much time on our hands, or what? :confused:

Jason Roehl
07-08-2004, 7:17 AM
I can add one to the mix for yesterday--my youngest son's 3rd birthday was yesterday. So, happy birthday to him, and to all the SMC'ers who shared a birthday yesterday!

Aaron Koehl
07-08-2004, 9:28 AM
Well, how about the reverse. How many days of the year does no one have a birthday? What are the dates with the fewest birthdays? I'd bet that there are many with just one.
Do we have too much time on our hands, or what? :confused:To answer your question, Larry, there are 24 days out of the year where there are no birthdays here, though the distribution is fairly uniform (see graph).

The birthday problem does have the assumption of a uniform distribution--though we know intuitively that there are more birthdays in some months than others, so there are likely days in our database which have 0 or 1 birthdays. ;)

The months are distributed as follows:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/aaron/SMCBirthdays.png

The days with no birthdays here:
Dec. 21
Nov. 6
Oct. 7
Sep. 25
Aug. 21
Jul. 15, 17
Jun. 19
May 5, 8, 21
Apr. 4, 9, 10
Mar. 2, 13, 21, 22, 27
Feb. 3, 26
Jan. 2, 5, 6

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 9:31 AM
It's quite obvious that the cold winter months affected this distribution... :D

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Although easy to do in your head, how about subtracting out 9 months from the birthdate to figure when we were all snuggling with our spouses to, uh, keep warm! :D

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 12:08 PM
My point exactly, Chris...

Dennis Peacock
07-08-2004, 2:30 PM
Although easy to do in your head, how about subtracting out 9 months from the birthdate to figure when we were all snuggling with our spouses to, uh, keep warm! :D

Yup...looks like February and March are the prime snuggling months, well at least overall. My wifes family seems to have celebrated the 4th of July on several occassions since we have MANY birthdays in the family that are in March!!!!