PDA

View Full Version : Piercing

Ken George
02-14-2009, 5:31 AM
Looking for some help. I am about ready to start my first piercing. It's a black locust bowl with a rolled over edge. I have placed grooves 3/4" apart on the edge and would like to do the piercing between those grooves. The thickness is not as thin as it should be, about 3/32". Had some vibration and got scared. Will be sanding today and hope to get started with the piercing tomorrow. Will be using my Dremel.

How to get started? Drill holes evenly around the area? Or just start randomly?

Thanks,

Ken

Jeff Nicol
02-14-2009, 7:13 AM
Ken, It all depends on how much piercing you are going to attempt and if you will be doing some relief sanding/carving inbetween the holes. The design is where to begin buy laying it all out around the bowl. If you have no set design and it is to be freeform, start with the first hole and work your way around untill it is complete. Look up some of the stuff Bihn Pho does, he does very thin walled vessels and things that have an oriental motif. But most of his piercings are kind of random inside layed out areas on the turning.

So if you have a design in mind use that or just go for it and the wood will help you figure out what to remove and what to leave by the grain, color etc.

Good luck,

Jeff