PDA

View Full Version : New Pen out of Black Palm Wood

Billy Tallant
02-14-2009, 4:02 AM
Decided to try a piece of black palm wood. Haven't used this wood before. Pen is a Black Titanium Carbara. It felt like the wood would be pitted when finished but sanding it worked all of the pits out.

tim mathis
02-14-2009, 4:11 AM
hi bill,
it looks great.
tim

Dave Bureau
02-14-2009, 7:39 AM
Nice pen Bill

Did you have to stabilize the black palm? I have a small chunk 2x2x18 but it seems like it would fall apart when turning?

Terry Quiram
02-14-2009, 8:37 AM
Billy you did a nice job. I always wet sanded Palm with CA to fill the pores.

Ken Glass
02-14-2009, 9:42 AM
Billy,
Knowing how tough Black Palm is to work with, that came out very nice. I made a few Wine Stoppers at Christmas with Black Palm and 1 out of 3 chipped so badly they were not usable, even with small cuts and sharp tools. Well done!

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Billy, you did a great job with a very difficult wood! You sure don't see many of these pens! Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Billy that is a good looking pen out of some hard wood to turn.

robert hainstock
02-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Did you expierence any tearout? I found the lighter wood to be soft like balsa, and the black to hard like porcupigoane quills. A sure road to tearout which happened to me first time I tried the stuff. I had to use the 80 grit turning tool to finish the pen.:eek::mad::)
Bob

Randy Hoch
02-14-2009, 1:11 PM
Did you expierence any tearout? I found the lighter wood to be soft like balsa, and the black to hard like porcupigoane quills. A sure road to tearout which happened to me first time I tried the stuff. I had to use the 80 grit turning tool to finish the pen.:eek::mad::)
Bob

Robert,
What the heck's a Porcupigoane??:D

Randy

Jim Kountz
02-14-2009, 1:51 PM
Thats some very interesting wood, fine job with it!!

Keith Christopher
02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice pen Bill

Did you have to stabilize the black palm? I have a small chunk 2x2x18 but it seems like it would fall apart when turning?

Nice pen! Palm is SO hard to turn, sometimes comes off in big long splinters.

Billy Tallant
02-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks to all for the kind comments...

No stabilization done to wood. I just used light delicate cuts. Thought I would need to fill pores with CA but haven't really got that finish mastered so I decided to stay safe & not try it. No tear outs but wood felt like one wrong cut would peel away a layer. Sanded it down through 600 grit, then buffed it with paperbag. Put about 3 heavy layers of HUT friction polish & really put the heat to it. So far I have been selling most of the pens that I make, but I may just have to keep this one as my personal pen.

Dewey Torres
02-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Billy,
I hope your sales continue. This is the kind of pen folks find highly desirable. Probably a good decision to not try an experimental finish with it.