PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate wood for a Scotsman

Dan Mages
07-07-2004, 11:51 AM
I have a good Scotish friend who wants me to do a project for him. I have not had any luck finding any info on traditional woods used in Scotland. Any suggestions?

Dan

John Lock
07-07-2004, 12:03 PM
I have a good Scotish friend who wants me to do a project for him. I have not had any luck finding any info on traditional woods used in Scotland. Any suggestions?

Dan

I did a google search and came up with this supplier in Scotland. They list some of the local lumbers that are available as well as a gallery.

Scotland wood supplier (http://www.wood-shop.co.uk/default.tpl?cart=10892159161782022&id1=25&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=25&--SECTIONSword=ww)

Andy London
07-07-2004, 5:34 PM
My grandmother is from Scotland, the wood of choice is Beech, not our American Beech but rather European Beech. The working properties and stability is far better than the beech we have. Ash and Oak are also very popular, personally my favorite is Sycamore.

Andy

Jack Wood
07-08-2004, 7:13 AM
Well considering what the English did to the Scot's you might want to stay away from Elm or English Yew:D

Dan Mages
07-08-2004, 8:27 AM
Thanks for the advise. ;)

I am looking at using ash and stain it a nice, dark colour. Hopefully, he will want me to build this project for him.

Dan