PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" or 3/4" BB Ply for Router Cabinet

Scott Pagington
02-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I was planning on using some 1/2" BB ply that I have in the shop to build the base cabinet for a new router table. But, all the plans that I have seen use 3/4" ply. I was planning on building something similar to the following link:
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive98/7_10johnsrtab1.html

I'd like to get the table/cabinet built, but can't afford to go get 3/4" ply right now. Will I be disappointed later if I build it with the 1/2" ply?

Also, I plan on making the table top with 2 layers of 3/4" MDF with laminate on top. So, I'm only asking about the cabinet / carcass.

Thanks,
Scott

Tony Bilello
02-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Use the 1/2" Baltic Birch for the drawers.
Depending on the size, you might make the top out of a double layer of the Cabinet Grade plywood if enough is left over.
I use MDF at times because I have lots of it laying around. I much prefer plywood. If you get a good grade plywood from a good lumber yard that specializes in cabinet grade lumber, it will be just as flat as MDF.
MDF is a cheap product with lots of hype and highly over rated. It does have its place, but it is limited.

glenn bradley
02-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I used 3/4" BB ply for the carcase and 1/2" BB ply for the drawers with 1/4" bottoms and 3/4" false fronts. MDF on top with good ribbing for reinforcement.

Brian Runau
02-14-2009, 6:54 AM
I am starting a similar project and was going to use 3/4 birch for the side, but had some 3/4 mdf I thought i ight use for the back. Is it OK to combine like this?

Thanks

Fred Hargis
02-14-2009, 8:09 AM
My cabinet is very similar, and it weighs well over 200 pounds. While I pretty sure 1/2" would be stout enough, with that much weight I wouldn't want to take a chance. I would stay with the 3/4" ply for the carcase.

Craig T. Smith
02-14-2009, 8:24 AM
I'm planninig on making one myself. I'm stocking up on 3/4 plyfor the case because of weight and use factors. for the top i'd probably use plywood with laminate. As for the laminate most people at SMC say to laminate top and bottom of the table for stability even on plywood(I think) . Happy Woodworking, Craig