PDA

View Full Version : Help me to identfy compressor

Roy Hess
02-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I came into possession of the compressor pictured below. The identification plate has been painted over and I cannot make out any details except maybe the name Westinghouse, but I cannot be sure. When I spin the large pulley wheel the compression seems OK. But I must confess that I do not now anything about air compressors.

I am trying to determine if this is worth trying to use, what its capacity might be, and is it worth the trouble restoring.

Any comments appreciated.

David Christopher
02-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Roy, that looks like an old air refrigeration compressor to me....if it is it will pump air but with little cfm....it looks like some of the ones that we had on my first ship...about a 2 ton unit

Roy Hess
02-14-2009, 6:25 AM
Dave
That could very well be it !! The previous owner did worked at our local Port for many years, and was a scrounger of mechanical things.

Thanks for your input !!

CPeter James
02-14-2009, 7:16 AM
Maybe a truck air brake compressoor?

CPeter

Dave Bureau
02-14-2009, 7:20 AM
My first thought also peter. An air brake compressor from a truck.

Craig T. Smith
02-14-2009, 8:52 AM
My thouight too till I saw the fill plug on the side, it looks factory so no to the truck idea . Maybe you could rig up a motor use a push in car compression gauge to get an idea of pressure and flow capacities. I do remember an ald westinghouse compressor(I think) in a old Ford dealership. Might look at OWWM to see. Craig

Craig T. Smith
02-14-2009, 8:56 AM
If you try to rig this up for testing DON'T put it to a tank without a governor or a pop-off protection valve. Craig